OMG! New Mazda Grills

Are they just plain hideous, or is that just my imagination?

I decided to cruise the lot at my local Mazda dealership, just to take a gander at the new models, and I was really disappointed - mostly at all the sardonic-looking smiley grills. The Miatas looked very strange, and the "3" looked totally over the edge. Maybe I'm too old school, but I don't understand how this might make anyone want to buy a new model over last year's.

Any ideas? I'm clueless.

--Geary '99 Emerald Mica

Reply to
Geary Morton

I understand the in-the-door cupholders that damn near amputated my right leg during a test drive are gone? If so, that more than makes up for the fugly grill but, because of other ergnometric problems that exist between the NC and my fragile body I'll be keeping my NA!

Reply to
XS11E

I haven't seen these yet. Any links or pics?

Pat

Reply to
pws

As always, miata.net:

XS11E

Yikes! Mazda took the only part of the car that I like the looks of and screwed it up. Now the rear end looks better than the front, just imho, of course, but that is a truly nasty change to my eyes.

Not just the grille, but the upturned "smiley-mouth" opening and the large lights to each side of it.

I guess if I ever get the NC it will be a 2007 or 2008 model. There is just no way that am I going to make payments on something that looks like this latest offering.

Pat

Reply to
pws

It's screaming for one of those "tooth" grilles. With only one tooth. Then it'd look like Mater (from "Cars").

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Better to get an NA and make no payments at all, I suspect you can get a very nice NA or maybe an NB for less than the downpayment on a new NC.

Reply to
XS11E

I never saw "Cars", but I just did a google images search on Mater and you are correct. :-)

BTW, is that one worth watching?

Pat

Reply to
pws

That is my situation now. No payments and a car that will out-perform any stock Miata including the Mazdaspeeds, assuming equal drivers and conditions for both cars.

It is, however, an 18 year old car, at least the frame and the parts that haven't been replaced are. This one is starting to look more and more like an 18 year old road and parking lot warrior every day.

I cold probably have it looking very nice again for a bit more than the down payment on a new NC. It already looks better than any mint NC even with the quarter-panel dent and faded paint, but again, that is all opinion.

I do want the PRHT, BADLY. That is what has kept me glancing at the NC, so I hate to see this latest "development". Because of the PRHT, It is possible that I may buy the NC down the road when the prices have really dropped.

I stay away from introductory year models, so it looks like I have two year models to choose from before Mazda decided to go "full ugly". You never go full ugly, everybody knows that. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Most definitely. Not for the story--for the artwork and visual effects, which are breathtaking.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Watch out for the two fangirl characters who look like a certain small convertible roadster. Their names are "Mia" and "Tia".

I know...I know...way too much detail - but I have kids, so a "Cars" DVD was a Christmas present a year or so back.

Reply to
CR

Kids are educational, w/o grandkids I'd have never heard of SpongeBob SquarePants!

Reply to
XS11E

Not for the story? I must disagree with you there. I can only assume that it's been awhile since you've seen it Lanny. While I might agree the main story line is at best entertaining, the 'bigger' story IMHO was the abandoning of the highways (RT 66 was their example) as we Americans have flocked to the interstates to save time. I thought they did a great job on that. Sort of a miata mantra; stop and smell the roses (drive and enjoy the back roads) kind of story. Unfortunately the miatas aren't what you'd hope for in the movie but hey, it's a kid's movie and our cars will be seen as chick cars for the next couple generations ;-)

But overall Pat, it's a 'gotta see' movie (for me, I even had to buy it on dvd), and I've only gone to that extent on ...... less than 5 movies probably. Check it out!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Pat, the sad thing on the new car is that they have supposedly done noticeable handling improvements, making the car easier to rotate in the corners. Not sure if these changes are bolt on, that could be added to the earlier models or, design changes.

FYI, when I was at a dealership in Tucson, they were selling the PHRT at a $5 or $6k discount off msrp! That was a shock to me. Things have only gotten worse since then as far as car sales go so, in theory, deals may be even better, not sure. I too love the PHRT.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I'm sure that the proof is in the numbers.

Having test-driven a couple, they do not feel like they handle better, certainly not as nimble an early, (therefore lightweight), NA Miata with an upgraded suspension and super-lightweight wheels.

The changes are probably not bolt-on, as they made major changes this time, including a 5-lug wheel for extra weight gain along with the heavy-ass wheels.

Leon called the NC "his SUV Miata". That was my impression, too big and cushy for anything that is replacing the previous Mazda roadsters. Not a bad car to drive, but not what I am looking for in a 2-seat convertible. Throw looks into the equation, and it is not even close. The low-mileage NA's are looking better and better all the time.

As much as I love the PRHT, I would still take a NC ragtop from 2007 or

2008 over this smiley-face 2009 nightmare edition with a PRHT.

Having an early NA, (one of the light ones, not the way too heavy 1996 model like I owned), a NB and a pre-hideous 2007 or 2008 NC with the PRHT could be cool.

Pat

Reply to
pws

My favorite episode was when the Bully was going to attack SpongeBob, so he changed his name to "BobSponge PantsSquare".

That was a classic. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I missed that one, the problem with all the grandkids becoming adults (there's still one who is only 17 but her birthday is comming!) is that I no longer have an excuse to watch cartoons...

Reply to
XS11E

Heh, maybe they need to start a "Grills Gone Wild" campaign like Dodge did with their Ram trucks a few years back.

The Mazda '3' grill makes the Miata's look rather conservative.

--Geary

Reply to
Geary Morton

Yes, the new Mazda 3 grill (whole front fascia) is HIDEOUS! Anything looks goo next to that!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I like it! But I'm not gonna buy one... I'd go for a NB FL, redo tires-wheels-brakes-suspension. Do a bit of forced induction and presto I'd have a cheep-fast car.

NA is just too old, hard to find, etc.

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric