OMG! New Mazda Grills

Reply to
Christopher Muto

Not necessarily. Just buy one that's in not too bad condition, then buy a bunch of wrecked ones and you'll have most of the parts you need to fix the first one.

Or contact Planet Miata

they've got lots of parts for the NA.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

I love the look..It is an improvement on the NC which just doesn't come together quite right with the grille looking a little low and the aux light looking like they were plonked in at the last moment.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

I don't think a similar nose = a similar car! The Miata and the RX-8 are vastly different and different looking cars.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

wear and tear on the chassis over the years (15years give-take)+ the fact that NB is a bit sturdier + ABS and you don't end up with a junk yard in the back yard.

And NB isn't all that heavier than NA. it's mostly abs, aircon, airbags and other equipment + few safety rods in doors. NB has like 4 stars on NCAP crash test (front impact), dunno whats with NA.

If you wanna go light, build a locost, westfield or something like that (like Keith of FM) and put miata guts in it :)

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric

The frame does suffer over the years, but poly bushings, a good rollbar, and braces make up for a lot of that. The car at 155,000 miles feels more solid than a 42,000 mile 1993 garage queen that I drove recently, mostly because of the bracing and the bushings, I imagine.

Also, all NB's are now at least 4 years old, with some as old as 10. I saw one with over 250,000 miles on it that was for sale for $4,000.

My 1996 "M" edition had ABS, air conditioning, two airbags, and side-impact beams in the doors. The listed weight was 2500 pounds, which is right about the same as most NB's.

Miatas started coming with dual airbags as standard equipment in 1994. Air conditioning and ABS have been available on the Miata since the beginning, well at least since 1991 on the ABS, definitely since the very start on the A/C.

If I remember correctly, the 1996 model had 4 stars for the driver-side and 3 stars for the passenger-side. Don't know about earlier year models.

Those side-impact beams in the door do not look like they add much weight, and they also don't look like they would do much to protect me in a T-bone collision.

That project would be fun.

Still, there is a very noticeable difference when you take 200 or 300 pounds off of a 2500 pound car, it is like taking two of me out of the car. Whenever I have had a heavy passenger, the car really let me know, especially in the pre-turbo days.

If I keep my 1991 turbo, I am going to go weight-savings crazy on it with the removal of the top, dash, and anything else that isn't needed, except for the stereo, gotta have that. :-)

It will be a pure toy and I am hoping to get as close to 2000 pounds as possible without removing the rollbar or frame braces. Replacing the seats with racing units will help as well.

There is already no A/C, power steering, airbag, cruise control, windshield washer reservoir, and no spare wheel except on long trips.

Just all of that adds up to quite a bit. I still need to yank the airbag sensors and wiring, that will save a few more pounds, then cross-drill the ignition key, a standard weight-savings technique.........

Pat

Reply to
pws

That has worked well for me. My 1991 Miata now has parts on it from 8 different year models; 1990,

1991, 1993, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2000, & 2001.

I really like how the parts interchange on the NA/NB's. I'm trying to think of something from a 2006-2009 model that will go on the car, but can't come up with anything.

Maybe I can convert the 1991 front end to look like those pretty 2009 models. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Does KaleCo still offer those handy self-adhesive lightening holes? Just peel and stick.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

You might be on to something there ;-)

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Whoosshhhh.......

OK, what does this mean, Sir?

Pat

Reply to
pws

Chocolate and vanilla. I personally like them, if the NC had come with that front-end I wouldn't have spent a bunch of money on the Mazdaspeed body kit.

Reply to
Craig Wagner

Have you never visited kalecoauto.com?

Rather than tedious labor with drill and saw to save weight by removing excess metal, just peel off the backing and stick these die-cut lightening holes to your car. Available in round and square shapes, assorted sizes.

You may also be interested in the handy portable grease pit. Just unroll it and slide it under your car for easy oil changes, exhaust work, and removal of roadkill leftovers from the undercarriage.

Other best-sellers: cross-drilled brake lines, synthetic blinker fluid, and muffler bearings.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Ahhh yes, it has been a while.....

My favorite is still the Flux capacitor for a mere $175,000.

"NOTE: Special return policy: If you are not 100% satisfied, you may return this product for a full refund, in no LESS than 30 days before you purchase it!"

This one is compatible with all modern vehicles, no need for a stainless steel body.

Pat

Reply to
pws

To each his own as they say. I'm not calling the newest Miata grill hideous but I don't think it's a great design by any means.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I'll stand by "hideous". There are so few cars out there that I like the looks of anymore.

The 1990's are my favorite overall period, and the 1980's are the worst, but the first decade of this century has been a huge disappointment for me. Too many bubbles, too many station wagon/SUV hybrids, and no lightweight true sport cars available anymore unless you get an Elise.

As you say, to each his, or her, own. I just hope that some *good* changes are made for the 2010-2020 batch.

There is a picture of Leon's battered 1996 Miata with 100,000+ miles sitting next to his 2006 NC when it was newly purchased, and the older car looks about a million times better than the new one, just imho, of course.

Pat

Reply to
pws

You're too young, Pat, to remember 1958. For sheer excrescence, nothing beats a '58 Buick. Dunno what happened, maybe an asteroid hit Detroit; the 1955-57 models were, as a whole, quite pleasant.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Yes, was not even born yet. This year, however, I am chasing down the big 40, and it is going by very fast.

They are pretty cars to look at, but it had better be very well-maintained after 51 years, like this one.

We have never been that lucky, but hey, we can pray...... ;-) Have you ever been to Detroit, like in the last 25 years? Was there ever a good time to go there?

I might need to mount one of these to my Miata before any future visits to that beautiful city.

I have still never driven a vintage lead-sled for more than a few feet except for a pair of 1950's Thunderbirds that I used to park for a resident at a building that I worked at 20 years ago.

I am sure to have one model or another in the collection after I "hit it big!" one day.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I can't get past the tasteless excess of chrome behind the rear wheels:

or

Lanny Chambers

My first car was a 56 Dodge Coronet, my second a '57 Chrysler Windsor. Both had the push button automatic. The fins alone on the Chrysler weighed more than my Miata, I think. I almost broke my leg when, parked on a hill, the driver door swung closed on it. The engine went over 300,000 miles, but by the end none of the doors would open, 3 of the windows were stuck up, one down. That was in '66 when I was a sophomore in college. I had to get in and out though the window that was stuck down.

Reply to
Frank Berger

If there's anything I hate, it's car windows that think they're better than me...

Reply to
Lanny Chambers