Ordered A Speaker

I was looking for a budget pair of speakers and tried Crutchfield. They do not carry a 6.5" direct replacement speaker that can be installed into my '91 Miata using the same holes, etc. Therefore, I ordered a 5.25" pair and they are shipping a mounting bracket that will go into the Miata speaker cavity and then I can screw the speakers into the bracket. Atleast this is how I think it works.

Couple of questions:

(1) Am I going to lose performance by dropping to a 5.25" speaker, even though its a dozen years newer in design from the original 6.25" speakers?

(2) Has any one had experience using Crutchfield's Miata mounting kit and is it really easy to do?

Reply to
Pat

What is the problem of drilling a few holes in very thin plate iron? Is your 91 on a lease?

Would not new 6.25" speakers be the same dozen years newer in design?

I do not think the speed of sound has changed in those 12 years, though. If it has, it probably became bigger, with global warming and such.

Unfortunately, putting the speakers in the door, even when drilling new holes and a bit of work with a file,* is *nothing* compared with taking off the door panels and getting the black tar off everything. Might as well get something good for your work.

None of it is particularly hard though. I would think most people will be able to do it. Don't know if the Crutchfield kit makes it harder.

Leon

  • Assuming eye protection is worn.
Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

That's funny, I just got one of their catalogs and they list a 6.75 speaker as being a direct bolt in with no adaptors or modifications needed. .

------------- Alex

Reply to
Alex Rodriguez

I picked a inexpensive Pioneer pair until I get enough cash to do a complete system with new radio. Right now I just wanted to fix one fried speaker the cheapest way. The Pioneer seems like it might be ok. I'm now wondering if I should get a baffle option to protect the speaker from dirt and moisture. Ny thoughts on that?

Door Speaker:

Baffle:

Pat

I just did mine. The original speaker has a three hole mount and is some sort of Mazda OEM speaker that is a weird size. I bought a pair of Audiovox

6" speakers that have three mounting holes but that are short of the holes Mazda provided. Instead of drilling on the car (which, somehow, didn't seem right), I used the Dremel tool to radially grind a slot from the circumfrence of the speaker matched to the useful mounting holes. I then ground another two slots, one one each side of the mounting hole slot, flattened the metal with long nose pliers and screwed that to the original mounting holes. Worked fine.

If you want, Pat, I can email you an image to show this exactly.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Stoorza