OT: Acura

Anybody else wondering what happened to Acura, design wise? I guess, more specifically, exterior styling wise. They have gotten so horrific that I can't convince my self to get close to get in and see the interior :-) The TL is ruined, the MDX used to be the best looking SUV, now it's as bad as anything out there almost. Even the beautifully understated TSX has been hunkered down with Acura's huge corporate metal beak! Shame on them!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

They even canceled their V10 NSX.

This TL looks like it has been worked over hard with the ugly stick, in my humble opinion, of course. Someone probably finds it beautiful.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I also used to think Acura had the nicest looking sedans. This one is hideous.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Well, at least I'm not the only one! Pat, there's still rumors about the re-appearance of the NSX. Very hard to beat the original imho! I'd own one in a heart beat if I could afford a 5~10 car, car collection ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I have loved the NSX since it was introduced, back in my Datsun driving, pre-Miata days. My favorite-looking cars are almost all from the 1990's. The ones before that are usually too big and the newer ones are usually too bubbly.

Given my age, it makes sense, sort of like XS11E and his love of tail fins. He has me by a year or two. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I don't like tail fins, I think they're funny, one of the world's GREAT jokes!

My favorite looking cars are almost all from before my time, old Cords, Auburns, Deusenbergs, etc.

I also like 1940 Ford coupes, 1955 Thunderbirds and a few others.

Almost any Aston Martin gives me the "wish-I-had-thats"...

Reply to
XS11E

I normally catch sarcasm, oops.

I worked at a residential building where a lady owned two near-mint but daily driven 1955 Thunderbirds when I was nineteen. I had to move both of them around the parking garage pretty often and it always made me very nervous, I had only been driving a manual for about 6 months at that point and those were touchy cars.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Ya, the RSX is a whole other story! Somehow Acura managed to kill one of the most popular cars in history (the Integra) by trying to take it's customers 'upscale'. A fatal mistake made over and over by stupid car companies! Many cars come to mind, the Ford Taurus SHO for one! Every time I read C&D saying that the MFR is attempting to take their customers upscale, I just know, it's going to happen again. Stupid!

The RSX was a decent car I guess but it obviously was no replacement for the Integra. My guess is that price is what basically killed it. It seems to be 'sporty' enough.

Input?

I bet the RSX is a great used buy since it never did catch on, might be a pretty reasonable used car buy.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I very nearly bought an RSX-S in 2006. I took one for three or four test drives and was very taken with it. Nice, high quality interior. Handled great for a front driver. Fantastic engine--it was absolutely otherworldly at 8000 rpm. I really didn't think it was too expensive (22k IIRC) for what it was. At the time it amazed me that you could get something with an engine like that for that kind of money.

But soon after I came across a low mileage 2004 MSM and that was that. It didn't have anywhere near the level of sophistication as the RSX, but it was a convertible, it was rear-wheel drive, it was a convertible, and it was much less expensive. Plus I always kind of wanted one.

Reply to
Carbon

I think you made the right decision. I am tempted every time I see a low-mileage MSM listed. Getting one in the next couple of years is still a high possibility.

If only I could keep my turbo 1991 model, and get a MSM plus a PRHT NC.

One can dream.........That is still only around $30,000.00 to $40,000.00 or so if I didn't buy the NC new. Then just keep them all insured, registered, inspected and maintained, no problem. It would be interesting to see which model got the most and the least driving time.

Pat

Reply to
pws

So, the Miata is in effect responsible for the demise of the RSX! Sweet! ;-)

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo