Outed on the 2006 model

I made the mistake of sitting in a blue 2006 model today while picking up an oil filter. The evil saleperson asked if I wanted to take a test-drive.

I was out of there in a flash, in my own 16 year old car. (my only consolation is my considerably better power to weight ratio and far superior wheels) :-/

I liked how the new model felt a lot more than I thought I would, taking a test-drive would be entering dangerous waters. I can't afford one, but I couldn't afford my low-mileage 1996 "M" edition back in 1999 either.....

I didn't even notice a cupholder, I guess being 5'9" instead of 6'4" helps there.

The good news is, Leon has agreed to let me borrow his white 2006 model for two weeks because we are such good friends. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

I assume you calculated that on you first gen Pentium processor.

Well actually, if you were local and had a good reason, I probably would.

Leon :)

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I never had one of the first ones. What was that, a 66 or 75 mhz? I got into computers about the same time as miatas, 1998 or so. My first machine was a Pentium 2 300mhz with 128 MB of RAM, a soundblaster live, and two 12 MB voodoo video cards linked together. It kicked ass, it even had a 17" monitor, whoa!

To it's credit, were it alive today, it would run my engine management software for my Tec-3. That software only requires a 233 mhz with 64 MB of RAM.

Wow! You can be a hard man to dislike. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

He was referring to the fact that the first generation Pentium processors had a significant bug in their floating point calculations.

Christian Smith

Ahhh, I am not quite that techno-geeky. I do hope that Leon knows that a car that weighs less yet has more power will have a higher power to weight ratio than a heavier car with less power. If not, his students are in deep trouble. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Sorry, I forgot about the forced induction. Thought you were talking about the lower weight only.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

No problem. A lot of that lower weight comes at the expense of no A/C, no airbags, no power steering, no side-impact beams that have been a safety standard for 10 years, and a lot of other things that make it more of a racecar than a street car.

I would love to keep it and get a new model the way that you did, it would be a perfect mix and I would probably leave the new model stock for the most part.

BTW, how big are the rotors on the 2006 model? They looked huge at the dealership.

Pat

Reply to
pws

The front rotors are 290 mm (11.4 inches), the rear rotors are 280 mm (11.0 inches). This compares to 2005 disc brake rotor size of 270 mm front and

276 mm rear.

Jim

Reply to
George Jetson