Over Inflation Tires Winter Storage

I just read that modern tires do not risk flat spots, hence should not overinflate for storage. Any opinions?

-Phil (not Diane)

Reply to
Diane

Put the car on blocks if at all possible. Modern tires do develop flat spots that usually work themselves out. Put rubber preservative on the side walls to help prevent rubber dry rot and cracking. Fill the tires to the normal pressure plus ~ 10-15% ~30-36 psi for most

14-15 inch Miata tires. Be sure to check the pressure before driving. It's also a good idea to at least change the coolant and oil before storage.

There is an argument in favor of running the engine and driving the car periodically instead of just storing it for a long period.

A trick often used with marine engines is to spray non gumming oil into the intake (past the MAF, not before) until the engine quits. (The plugs are usually replaced or cleaned before restarting for the first time after storaage.)

Reply to
Chuck

Especially on unseasonably warm days. With the top down.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Even happens here in New England. I can remember a New Years Day not too long ago.... (I digress way too much)

Reply to
Remove This

We've done polar bear runs here in Eastern PA the last two New Year's Days. Top down, of course. In 2005 it was about 52F - this year it was about 32F.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Iva, I have two questions. How fast do the polar bears run when it is around

50 deg's. ? I know they are fast as hell below 32 deg's. And why are you running the poor bears anyhow ? :-)

Bruce Bing '03 LS

( it is going to get down to under 32 deg's. here in Seattle tonight. Should I go find some bears at the zoo and see for myself ?) :-)

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

That's it Bruce, like it or not, I am showing Bing to the crowd. :-)

Check out his hardtop from his previous 1991 that he had painted to match. Very nice-looking, imho.

This is one of the things that I will miss with the introduction of the new model, the ability to swap many of the parts over a 16 year production period. Interchangeable hard and soft tops, wheels, engine heads, differentials, and a few other things were really nifty options.

Pat

Reply to
pws

They can *really* run fast when being chased by 17 Miatas. Besides, in the warmer weather they get fat and lazy so the exercise is good for them.

Maybe you should check for yourself. Don't forget to perform your testing

*inside* their enclosure at the zoo.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Well, I didn't see any polar bears in the pics, but here's the link to the

2006 event photos:
Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

My top goes up when the temp hits about 50 degrees Farenheit. You people are insane. ;-) Of course, I was driving a miata with no A/C when it was 112 out this summer.

We have a predicted high of 86 today for Halloween. It is supposed to drop all the way down to 63 later this week.....

Pat

Reply to
pws

It was 24F driving to work today, with the top down, of course (it wasn't raining, after all).

Yikes, I'd much rather live where I do than wherever it is you do (I'm in the great (and cold) Pacific Northwest). It is fall, after all. Unless you're in the southern hemisphere, then that's ok.

Reply to
Mark

That's central Texas, and them be fightin' words... ;-)

There are advantages to both places. I don't ever like snow, cold temperatures cut right through me, and while I like the rain, I don't like it to happen that often.

On the other hand, if you don't want to suffer third-degree burns when grabbing the metal voodoo knob in the summer, then Texas or any other Southern state is probably not a good choice.

I have already picked where I am moving to, now it is a matter of getting ready and set-up again. I have only been thinking about it for four years....

Pat

Reply to
pws

I was born in Dallas, but my folks moved us to CA when I was about 3 months old, so I don't really consider myself a Texan. Having now escaped to OR where I don't have to live through oven-like weather, whenever my wife wants to take some vacation time and go visit her mom in AZ in the summer, I always say, "Have a nice trip, and I'll see you when you get home."

Reply to
Mark

Hmmmph, I was also born in Dallas and was out of there before I had any memories of living in that hellhole of a city.

Dallas/Ft. Worth/Arlington are basically one huge city and all of the crappy little towns surrounding that mess like Cleburne just add to the joy. Cleburne is the true armpit of Texas and perhaps the nation, though Lanny's hometown of St. Louis won top crime city this year, that is probably just because he lives there. ;-)

They only moved me a few hundred miles south, but any mile between yourself and Dallas is a good mile, imho.

Pat

Reply to
pws

You have no memories of Dallas, yet you know it's a hellhole of a city. Funny that it continues to attract people to itself.

Of course, many of the nearly six million of us who live in the DFW area will disagree with you. Like EVERY other place, Dallas has its pros and cons. I know many people who actually like the summer heat and couldn't stand Chicago winters, Florida humidity nor Seattle rain, San Francisco hills (or liberals, take your pick).

Reply to
Frank Berger

Or for a big city with small town flavor, try San Antonio. Just don't fall in the river. :)

Reply to
Brian

I have no memories of living there. I did visit many times as a child because we had family there, and to go to Six Flags, which used to be cool but the last visit it was a place that they couldn't pay me to enter again. I also heard some talk of the city from them.

All of them have now left, it took the daylight shopping mall robbery/murder of my great-aunt to convince my grandmother to get out of there. I have also had to travel there for work in the past, and it is on I-35 so it is hard to miss if you are taking that interstate in or out of Texas. Believe me, it does not attract me, it looks worse every time I have to be in that area.

I'll stand by my statement. It is a nasty place. Sure it has some good spots, like you said, "EVERY" place has its pros and cons. It is also a congested, polluted nightmare of a place to live, imho. The problem with Austin is that it is becoming more like Dallas as it grows, which is one reason I have been looking for another place to live.

Pat

Reply to
pws

MUCH, much better than Dallas, and closer to me as well. I visit San Antonio quite often by choice and always avoid Dallas/Ft. Worth if at all possible.

When someone is completely trashing their birth city, it should be an indicator. Having 6 million people living in close proximity is insanity to me. San Antonio is far more spread out and doesn't have nearly as bad of a congested big-city feel to it as Dallas does.

I would love to be proud of my place of birth, but that just isn't possible here.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Hmmm, I lived in New York City until I was nearly 13, then my father was transferred to PA. At the time I thought I was moving to the farm country, the sticks, and had to be torn, screaming and crying, from my friends in NYC.

Now you couldn't pay me enough to move back there! For lots of reasons, not least of which is the fact that there are no good Miata roads in NYC. New York state, sure, but not New York City.

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

It sounds like you lack perspective. Having grown up near and in New York City, and living now in Washington DC, with my family in scenic downtown Plano, I can say that the Dallas area and Fort Worth look pretty darned nice to me when I visit.

It also sounds like you've never seen real pollution!

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst