Owners manual

I recently bought a 2000 Miata, 5-speed.

Whoever cleaned the car out REALLY cleaned it out, so much so that I didn't get an owners manual.

Can anybody tell me HOW MUCH of WHAT WEIGHT fluid is the full level of the

5-speed transmission.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Reply to
Healeyman
2 qts does it, technically it's just under that but after you drain it you (best, if you can, to get the car level) just fill it till it starts to run back out of the fill hole in the side of the tranny. If you haven't done this keep in mind, you need a fluid pump to get the fluid up and in there. Auto stores sell different types and it can be a bit of a pain in the _ _ _. Redline MTL is considered very good and while you're at it you might want to do the 'turret' oil, down in the base of the shifter. More important than that is probably to drain and fill the differential. Redline makes an excellent product for this also, I'm thinking it's the 90w gear oil IIRC. Oh, one quart will do the diff.

Good luck, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Tim,

You can grab a PDF file of the owner's manual from Mazda's Web site. Identical to the printed one.

Frank

Reply to
frank

Chris,

Thanks for the information. I'll pick up some MTL and MT-90 tomorrow.

My car just turned over 38K miles today so it probably doesn't need any fluids, but it won't hurt to change the rear end and transmission lubricants.

Thanks again.

Tim

Reply to
Healeyman

Frank,

Thanks for the tip. I have been there and got the schematic, but didn't think to get the owner's manual.

Tim

Reply to
Healeyman

If he is doing the turret fluid, then he will need to remove the center console. Once you do this, you can snake a tube down into the transmission case filler hole from above and pour the fluid in while sitting in the driver or passenger seat. I found this to be easier than dealing with a pump from beneath the car. YMMV. If you do fill it this way, lay some old towels or something around the shifter area to catch any spilled or dripping fluid.

The differential will still need a pump, but it is at least a little easier to access than the tranny.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I like the fill from above idea! I'll remember that.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Me too. I was already planning to drain from the bottom and slightly overfill the transmission from the top.

Tim

Reply to
Healeyman