Picking out a few tools. Your input welcome

As ski season winds down and autocross season starts up, I've been thinking about learning how to rotate (swap) tires myself. Since Sears is having a sale this week, and I don't have any of the appropriate tools, I put 2+2 together and have started picking some stuff out. If any of you all have a minute, you're welcome to chime in on my selections or what I should get, since my experience in this area is pretty limited.

Craftsman 2-1/4 ton floor jack, 29.99

was actually looking at some of their more expensive jacks, but theyseem to get pretty mixed reviews until you step up to the $300 (279.99on sale) Craftsman Professional aluminum model. That thing lookssweet, but someone said this one works well enough so I figure I'llbuy in for $30 and see how I like working on the wheels. Central Machinery 3 ton jack stands with rubber pads
seem good because they have a groove that might fit well overthe lip on the underside of the car, which I understand is a goodplace to prop it up?Will I need more than just one pair? I'm thinking two stands isenough to prop up the left side, swap front & rear, then repeat withthe right side.

Craftsman Torque Wrench, 1/2 in. drive, 69.99

of all, I want 1/2 in drive, right? The mixed reviews onseveral of their affordable torque wrenches sort of concerns me.Craftsman also makes a dedicated "Tire Torque Wrench" that gets betterreviews, but it's $140. Sorta hoping this one would be good enoughfor tightening lug nuts. Lug nut socket? Where should I get one, is it just a generic socket? I have the OEM 16" wheels on a 2003 Shinsen edition.

I'm thinking I might also want a helper wrench or two, curious as to what people like.

Gracias & ZZ Eric

Reply to
earache

I have used a similar one. Lots of pumping the handle for the height that it is being raised, and much more effort than a larger model, but they do work. I think that the professional model takes 3 pumps, maybe two, to get the Miata raised. That is on my want/must-have list.

When I jack the car up for wheel swaps, I put a piece of wood underneath at the mirror point to distribute the load, then raise the whole side of the car up. I stick one jack stand underneath the piece of wood to save the car in case the jack fails, then just swap them out.

I lower the car onto stands anytime I am underneath it, but this works fine since I am never in danger of it falling on me during tire swap. Since the tires I have are always directional, I can only go front to rear and vice-versa anyway.

I have four stands, but have never used more than two on a Miata unless I was parting it out.

That will work, the 1/2 inch will go over the 80 foot pounds that you need. As far as quality, I have had a Craftsman torque wrench fall apart, but that was after many years of use and it remained accurate every time I tested it against a friend's wrench. Or at least, they were equally inaccurate. ;-)

I have heard that you should only use a torque wrench to tighten, not to loosen. Not sure how true this is but I have always followed it since torque wrenches are kind of pricey and I have the tools I need to remove the lugs.

There can be different sized lugs depending on the wheels that were used, but it should be a common size and any 1/2" socket that fits and is deep enough should work. I would mention to be sure to get a quality socket, but you are already looking at Craftsman products.

You won't need a helper wrench to torque them, plenty of leverage to hit

80 foot pounds from the long handle on the torque wrench.

A long-handled 1/2" socket driver is a wonderful thing when removing stubborn bolts, but your's are probably not too bad at 5 years old unless a gorilla mechanic has over-torqued them somewhere. :-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Yes, one of the standard sizes (which one depends on your lugs). Get a large X wrench instead of a socket.

Instead of jackstands, some folks rip a slot in a 2x4 so it fits over the rocker panel seam, and use it to jack one side directly below the outside mirror. Make sure to set the handbrake firmly.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers