Programming Keyless Entry fob

I have a keyless entry fob for a Mazda MX-6 (1996) that needs programming. Anyone know where I could find the instructions to do this?

Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Campbell

"Mike Campbell" wrote in news:t1Kgg.220314$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Owner's manual has that, I think.

Reply to
XS11E

The owner's manual does not have reprogramming instructions, I wonder if the shop manual does. I am the original owner of the car and I never checked the operation of the extra fobs I got (duh.) I changed the batteries and found they did not work. I noticed on the web that one can buy a replacement fob for that year and model; it comes with do it yourself "programming instructions".

The web vendor's site implies that no special tool is required ... I don't have enough information to be sure.

Thanks again for any replies.

Reply to
Mike Campbell

I got the following instructions from a dealer:

  1. sit in driver seat and leave door open.
  2. cycle ignition on-off three times.
  3. press door sill button three times.
  4. press unlock on remote twice.

Well I tried that and it did not work (with two extra fobs). Either they are both defective (possible) or I am not doing this correctly (probable). Is this procedure the same as the one in the manual for those who have that? Thanks.

Reply to
Mike Campbell

This is the way to program up to three fobs for my 2000 626.

  1. Begin with the driver's door open

---- Locate the button on the frame which indicates whether the door is open or closed

  1. Within 24 seconds,

---- a. Insert the key in the ignition

---- b. 3 times, turn the ignition key to the run / on position, then back to off (run, off, run, off, run, off)

---- c. slide the key out of the ignition until the door open chime stops sounding

---- d. Press the open door button 3 times

  1. You should hear a chime indicating the car is in programming mode.
  2. You can now program exactly 3 fobs. To do this, press any one key on each fob twice, waiting for an acknowledgement chime between each fob.

---- For step 4, if you have only one fob, do it 3 times.

---- If you have 2 fobs, program the first one once, and the second one twice.

  1. Press the door open button once. The car should give another acknowledgement chime.
  2. Test key fobs.

I did not have to do item number 5 to program mine, but ALL 3 had to be done together. I tried to do just the 2 new fobs that I got and the original didn't work, until I did all 3 at once. I hope this helps!

Reply to
Mike

...while clicking the heels of your red slippers, and slaughtering a goat. Sheesh.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Sounds crazy, but it sure beats paying the stealership to program them! ;-)

Reply to
Mike

Does this also apply to the Miata?

I have what is apparently a dead fob on my fiancee's Miata & I'd like to be able to impress her with my repair abilities with it.

-c

Mike wrote:

Reply to
clunfler

Try it and see if it works. Let us know how it goes!

Reply to
Mike