Q: Normal rpm at 65 mph

Hello, everyone.

This most likely is a dumb question, but well, I don't know any better, so here it is.

I have a '99 automatic. Having an auto transmission more or less defeats the purpose of owning a Miata, but auto Miatas are quite rare, so I'm pretty much OK with it, because I like something unique.

Anyhow, when I drive, say, around 65 mph, the tachometer indicates about 3,000 rpm. Somewhat above or below depending on whether I'm going uphill or downhill, but it usually stays somewhere 3,000 rpm zone.

Then I recently had a chance to drive a minivan (I think it was an old Nissan), which barely went above 1,500 rpm even if I hit 75~80 mph. So, my questions are:

Q1) Is 3,000 rpm at 65 mph on an automatic Miata normal? Q2) If so, does this mean my Miata is working harder (less efficient?) than the minivan? __ sol

Reply to
solamour

Sounds about right. It won't be working harder but the opposite as the gearing ratio means lighter loading on the engine. This also means it as more get up and go, try putting you foot down in the minivan. The minivan sound like may even be a diesel give the rpm.

Reply to
J Brockley

He's right about efficiency as it relates to mpg, the miata engine running the high rpm's it does, gets pretty horrible mileage for it's size / weight. Ya, it may have a bit of power when you step on it (not enough to startle anyone) but I wish they'd put a taller cruising gear.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Mine is right in that RPM range...I would say 3050, if asked to be accurate. ('94 m-spec w/ AT, ABS, LSD...). "Efficiency" is a notion that exposes too many "attitudes".

Reply to
Brian Minto

What is the redline on the minivan? It probably only goes up to 2,500 or

3,500rpm? My '94 with a 5-speed redline is at 7k and the cutoff is at 7,200. Normally my Miata in 5th gear will read 2,500rpm at 50mph, 3,000 at 60mph and 3,500 at 70mph.

My other vehicle (without any gears) cruises near redline of 2,475rpm at above 90mph.

-Greg B. A mile of road will get you a mile. A mile of runway will get you anywhere.

Reply to
Greg B

And less than a mile of runway just might get you in the trees, as an unfortunate pilot, crew, and passengers found out Sunday morning in Ky. Moral -- Check to make sure you are on the right runway, esp. when the tower cannot see the end of the runway to give you a warning.

Reply to
Chuck