Quick Poll/Year/Original Battery or No??

Hello all. I'd like to take a quick poll, if it is ok. Tell me what year Miata you'all have, and whether or not, it still has the OEM battery. Mine is a 2000, and yes it still does. Have slightly more than 19K on it. It is our 3rd car, and I try to run it at least once a week. Mostly my summer run around toy, to the beach, etc. But now that it is approaching winter, will probably be just the weekly run.

Reply to
Bad_Azz'd_Drummer

02...yes...35,000

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Tex

I just replaced the original battery in my '90 (230K miles) last month. The old one was actually still working OK, however its staying power weas a bit diminished--the new fella (p/n 8AMU1R, $70 from Autozone) cranks it over more briskly.

BTW--the Autozone battery is identical to this one:

and, appears to be the same as the famed WestCo battery, it is made by East Penn Manufacturing Co.

BatteryMart used to sell it under East Penn's "Deka" brand name. If you buy from Autozone you'll get a 2 year full replacement/6 year pro-rated (8 yrs. in total) warranty. WestCo's warranry is 1/3 (1 year full + 3 years pro-rated). For some reason Battery Mart only offers a 1 year warranty?

Reply to
Cliff Knight

Reply to
Jeff Buck

1996, 130K miles, original battery, and it still cranked at

-20F last winter.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

97, yes, 59k. not used that much, and still strong

Paco

97 Montego Blue (for fun only) 94 Dodge Grand Caravan ES (work van) The La-z-boy with wheels 87 Toyota Vanwagon (backup work van) Yes, it has an engine... somewhere.
Reply to
Pacocase

Wow, some of you have gone along time (one 13 yrs, with a 90). Lol- and I had been planning on replacing mine after five years. Maybe I'll reconsider. it just that on these coooooooooold days, and starting it up only maybe once a week, even though I follow the owners manual's instructions of first putting the throttle to the floor once, before turning the ignition (I questioned the service dept. about that, being it's fuel injected. And was told that was correct for the designed, " Cold injectors {whatever the heck that is]), it often is hard starting, taking a couple of tries. Anyway, thanks all for the poll responses.

Reply to
Bad_Azz'd_Drummer

It's not that cold here!! :-) 36 this morning. That's balmy for many of our friends that don't live in the 94585 zip code ;-).

My 2002 starts up pretty readily, both before the JRSC and afterwards.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Heck got down to 32-34 degs this morning, 32 yesterday also. After cutting my lawns, hopefully for the final time till maybe Feb., I reread the owners manual. it said to depress throttle to floor, leaving it there while turning the key. Why you have to even do that with a fuel injected system is beyond me. Maybe someone can explain what, "Cold fuel injection is." Anyway, that must be what I'm not doing quite right. I've been releasing it first. And yes after our HOT HOT 94585 summer, low 30s is coooooooooooooooold--lol.

Reply to
Bad_Azz'd_Drummer

Still using original battery in my '92 with 111,000 miles.

G. Lee

Reply to
GLPILOTSRV

1999- original battery still fine

Joe Silver '99

Reply to
jchase

Those were AGM batteries. The new Miatas apparently come with standard wet cell batteries, which do indeed only last a few years.

Get a Westco when yours dies.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Isn't it a trick to force the ECU into "especially cold" choke program mode?

The truth be told, I'm over in 94534, and I have the little '02 Titanium Grey SE with an unadvertised JRSC 6psi you might have seen around. Introduce yourself if you see me.

Oh... I put the JRSC license plate frame on my wife's Trailblazer EXT.

:-)

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

So, based on what Leon said, with my 2000, I can't count on no where the same longevity most of you have gotten?? I believe the manual says that it is a 36 month (warranted) battery. So I'm hoping to go five years tops. Would you'all say that may be a good bet, based on Leon's post??

Reply to
Bad_Azz'd_Drummer

93 40,000 miles Replaced the battery twice in the first two years. Car would sit idle for several weeks and the alarm would fully discharge the battery. After that it would not hold a charge. First time I replaced it with an OEM battery which met the same fate. Next time I got a Westco battery and an on demand trickle charger. I've had no problems since.

regards, Ron Hershey

Reply to
Ron Hershey

My wet cell is still going in my '99.

My AGM in my '90 lasted until the car spend a long time in a body shop. I suspect it was murdered via a fast charge or 24-volt jumpstart.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

'99, 145000km on the odo, two cross-country trips and three Canadian winters here in Montreal, original battery. I have no idea whether it's an AGM or the lowly wet cell. Whatever it is, it's doing just fine. Only boosted once and that was due to really extreme coled and being parked for 10 days. A battery warming mat solved the problem.

Reply to
Nora