Radio display disappearing !!!

I know this is a Miata group, but often people here own other Mazdas.

I have a 2002 Protege.

In cold winter weather I noticed the DARK SPOTS that show the volume control setting had disappeared. I touched the display SCREEN and they reappeared.

Lose connection ?? From my experience, yes.

Now that it is July and 70º, I came home today and noticed MISSING SEGMENTS on the radio clock display.

Anyone aware of TSBs on this ? Am I the only one with this problem ?

Does not bode well for the future if this happens at 10,000 miles. I owned a 97 Protege which my daughter has with same radio and no problems.

I plan to call CA Mazda tomorrow.

TIA

Reply to
Conase

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head! I last had this problem with a factory radio in an MPV. It was possible to take it apart and clean & reseat the display. The display was clearly NOT designed to have this done in the field. It required more care than you would think, due to the way the display was mounted. The driving factor im my case was an out of warrenty situation, with the display lighting failing as well. (Radio Shack carried the subminature bulbs.) Total saving was close to $75.

Reply to
chuckk