Radio Knobs

Please excuse this Mazda query not being Miata-specific, but I've come up dry with both Google's web search and its Usenet archive; this is the only Mazda group I could find, and searching my server's retention of it, I see nothing relevant here, either.

Needed: a knob for a '03 Tribute six-CD changer. The dealership says that they don't do knobs and want to sell a whole radio. You betcha they do.

Does anybody have a lead on a source for such a five-cent Mazda item that will sell for five dollars, to avoid the need of a five-hundred-dollar radio? :)

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

Dunno if it will help, but consider the Ford Escape is essentially the same vehicle, and may share the same radio.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

In fact, knowing that, it was actually a Ford dealer that I checked with to get the above answer.

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

Junk yard.

Reply to
Frank Berger

Blinky the Shark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@thurston.blinkynet.net:

I think you're hosed but I Googled "replacement radio knobs" and got a bunch of hits, see if there's anything there.

What in heck does a shark want with a radio, doesn't the water hurt the speakers?

Reply to
XS11E

I'll give that a shot; it admittedly narrows down what I tried. In retrospect, I think my Google fu wasn't up to par.

Rubber diaphrams.

Don't go there. ;)

And this is for my best friend. I broke his knob.

Don't go there, either. :)

Remember, I drive the Blinkymobile:

Blinky the Shark

Good idea. If I can find the right car. Radio knobs probably aren't often broken in collisions. Thanks, Frank.

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

Blinky the Shark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@thurston.blinkynet.net:

Been here for about a year, since I got a Miata.

Not for a million dollars! But I bet his wife is really pissed....

BTW, I searched Ebay, found some misc. bunches of knobs but nothing that looked like what you want. I stuck the 6 CD Tribute changer in the Miata as per instructions on Miata.net so I know the knob you want, it's the one I broke on the gearshift the first time I pulled the radio :-( but I was able to repair it, now you'd never know it was broken.

Reply to
XS11E

The junk yard isn't going to want to sell you just the knob unless you get lucky enough to find a radio that is clearly broken.

Now a dishonest person might go to the dealership, find the same model of vehicle, sit in it, and when the salesperson walks up, explain that you are interested in it, but that it would need to have that missing radio knob fixed.

Being honest can kinda suck sometimes, but I couldn't do that, even to a car stealership. The evil idea, however, is not hard to imagine....

Pat

Reply to
pws

Perhaps I should go hunting with a hammer. :)

Your creativity is noted. :)

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

We have Miata to thank for bringing back the whole idea of sports cars to the US.

He's never been married. That doesn't make the above look any better, I suppose. :) But I have three ex-wives, so he and I average out to be close to the norm.

Can I have the other one...the unbroken one? ;)

He had broken his, but the broken-out piece was still hanging on by a tiny bit of plastic. He was going to glue it. Then I dropped it, and the piece separated and we never found it. That's kinda why I've been trying to help, since I was the perpetrator of the Final Break.

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

^^^^^^^^ I'd have to check, but I think you mis-spelled kleptomania. :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Blinky the Shark wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@thurston.blinkynet.net:

Good luck searching but I think you'll have better luck finding the missing piece than finding a matching knob... check the wrecking yards, ebay, etc. and if you come up empty, go rent a Hummer and start running Tributes off the road, then check the wrecking yards again....

Reply to
XS11E

Always glad to help.

I don't steal, just can't do it, even without considering karma, which I believe exists to some degree after having a wallet with over $900.00 in it returned to me intact.

Still, with those bastards at the stealership refusing to stock extra radio knobs when they do come off fairly frequently, it becomes a bit tempting.

They could even charge $25.00 or so if they just NEED to rip us off, but please don't make us buy an entire radio for that small plastic part.

Of course, overcharging for parts, making you do things like buy entire radios to fix a broken knob, and overcharging for labor is how they survive, so it's all part of the game.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Don Bruder wrote: ^^^^^^^^

No, a kleptomaniac would go around stealing radio knobs that they did not even have a use for out of compulsion.

This would be pure and simple theft with a clearly defined purpose. It breaks some laws and a commandment, but hey. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Errr., make that factory. Obviously the dealership can not sell what is not provided by Ford/Mazda.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Dat's right... get all "anal"-itical about it and let all the funny leak out of an attempt at humor. Yeesh... :)

Reply to
Don Bruder

Hey, I am the, "failed attempt at humor, don't quit my day job guy" around here, and I don't like competition.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Good plan, Earl. And say hi to Randy for me.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers