Rear bumper

I am having a problem with some body work that I am having done to my 99 miata. About a month ago, my wife's miata was rear ended in a minor traffic accident. There was no structural damage, just the rear bumper needs to be replaced. While working with a Mazda dealer's bodyshop they have put a new bumper on and it seems to be sitting about 1/4" too low. To the point that around the taillight, the top portion (where the bumper curves around the taillight housing) is flush against the housing, while the bottom of the taillight housing and the bumper has a gap of about 1/4 to 1/2 inch. It just looks like crap. At this point we are not satisfied with the work, but the dealer is saying that there is nothing that they can do because it is a factory manufactured part and there are no adjustments that can be made.

Has anyone experienced such a problem?

Brian

Reply to
Brian J

In 2000, due entirely to stupidity on my part, the rear bumper and the driver's side rear light of the Rollerskate were damaged and required replacement, as well as some metal bodyshop work.

The bumper cover, to which I presume you refer, was replaced with an OEM Mazda bumper cover, painted an identical shade of silver, and a new OEM rear light assembly was installed by the body shop, and there is absolutely NO difference in its appearance or setting from the originals.

Unless there was damage to the underlying framework, causing a misalignment of the light and the bumper cover, I would say it's time to find a competent body shop.

Reply to
Nora

Are you absolutely sure there was no other damage?

Reply to
Per K. Nielsen

That is what they have said.... I would think that if there was other damage they would be happy to fix that also.

Reply to
Brian J