Rear Drum

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege LX and I'm trying to get the rear drum brake apart...does anyone know how to do it ? I have taken out the 2 screws in the drum , but it still will not come apart.

Any ideas ?

reply to derek7462 at rogers dot com

Reply to
Derek

The Miata folks don't have to deal with this as all fours have disks.

We have a 1997 Protege and I looked at the Haynes manual. A lot of drum brakes have an adjuster that you have to turn to release the shoes. If yours are the same as described in the manual, there is no adjuster.

What you have to do is push the parking brake actuation arm in the "loosen" direction. This will be opposite to the direction the hand brake cable moves it when you set the brake. They mentioned that you might want to disconnect the parking brake cable. I suspect this will allow the arm more movement in the "release" direction and increase the distance between the brake shoes and drums.

Seems logical. Good luck. Unfortunately, I have never done the brakes on this car, so I cannot speak from experience.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Stoorza