Rear end noise on 1991 Miata. Differential?

Hey folks-

My 91 Miata (155K) is making an awful racket, seemingly from the left rear axle. When I accelerate, it doesn't really seem too bad, but when I let off the gas and coast, the noise comes, a "Clunk Clunk Clunk" type. To make matters worse, it seems to diminish substantially when I step on the brake hard. Also, if I cut the power and coast in neutral, the noise remains.

Any ideas? I'm seriously hoping it's not the differential.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Flanagan

The first thing to check is the exhaust mounting. If it shifts, a pipe may hit the frame. Next thing is lugnuts.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I also have a '91 Miata (250K) and have experienced a similar problem, although not as noisy. A new set of rear wheel bearings solved the problem.

Peter Murphy.

Reply to
Peter Murphy