Rear main seal question

Laying under the car I put the rear main seal in. But the seal went in beyond the surface of the crankcase. From the end of the crank to the outer surface of the seal is 8mm. The sealing lip is 7mm past that for a total distance of 15mm. Does anyone know how long the crank surface is? The bolt holes for the flywheel appear to be blid holes that are 19mm deep. Has anyone else pushed the seal in past the case surface and left it that way without a leak? A new seal would have to be ordered and would take about a week to arrive. Thanks for any help. JackD.

Reply to
Jack Dannenberg

Jack,

I don't know what year you have. This is the information from my '90 workshop manual:

  1. Apply a small amount of clean engine oil to the lip of a new oil seal
  2. Push the oil seal slightly in by hand

Caution: The oil seal must be pressed in until it is flush with the edge of the rear cover.

  1. Press the oil seal in evenly with a suitable pipe

Oil seal outer diameter: 100mm (3.94 in)

.....there is an instruction and illustration to apply silicon sealant to the rear cover (it is in an arc inside the four bolt holes and extending into the "wing" areas) - install the rear cover and torque the bolts to 69 -

95 in-lb

Ken

Reply to
KWS