Recall notice received

Well, I finally got the recall notice for airbag. Horn can come off in extremely cold conditions, possibly injuring drivers that are not prepared for having horns blasted in their faces with explosive force.

They sure took their time about it, too. The worst cold is over already here. I could have been killed, which would have made Pat look silly when he came over here to do it himself. I guess Mazda figures that if they send you the announcement only after the immediate mortal danger is past, you will probably postpone getting it fixed until after the warranty is expired. Well, no such luck! I resent having horn buttons in my face, especially while I am already suffering frost-bite.

Which brings up the question; does anybody know whether the key of the

2006 can be replaced by a plain, ordinary key? The 2006 key is embedded in a case about the size of a music hall, full of buttons and batteries. I would really like something that actually fits in my pocket. But the way I read the manual, the key box may actually be a radio transmitter, (heck, it is big enough to hold a television station), needing to be present for the car to start. If it requires dealer intervention to allow a plain key to be used, I guess the time to do it is when the car is in the shop anyway.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

rammm@REMOVE_THIS_TAGdommelen.net (Leon van Dommelen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't think so.

I'm not even sure the dealer can change it. Wait until you have to buy a new key, the price will shock you!

Reply to
XS11E

I believe the key fob contains a microchip that the ignition switch reads and verifies in order to start the car (similar to my VW Passat). You might be able to purchase a key with the microchip, but without the transmitter for the remote entry.

Reply to
Fabiano

I don't recall ever threatening you or even planning on visiting Florida.

If I had, however, I wouldn't have looked silly, as I would have taken several pictures to post here for all to see. ;-)

I would look into replacing that steering wheel anyway, it could not look more out of place in a miata, it looks like the M2 Nardi wheel after many hard strikes with the ugly stick.

Pat

Reply to
pws

Leon, From what I understand, you can get a "non-chip" key made that will just open the door but not start the car. When I went in to get a extra key for my 2003, that is what the Parts Dept. person told me.

Bruce Bing 03 LE

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

So that I will be able to sit behind the wheel and imagine I am driving all sorts of twisty roads? ;)

I am sure the battery will decide to be empty in the worst possible neighborhood, too, or find an even worse time to go out.

And while we suffer under the imbecility of the designers, I am sure that car thieves just laugh about the entire thing. Any car thieves here that can give me an hint on how to disable the entire thing? I won't tell, just e-mail it to me if you think someone on this group might be an intolerant person. :)

At least they did not first start it in 2006 then. I guess that makes me feel just a bit better. :|

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

It'll help if you chant "zoom-zoom" a lot, and lean into the imaginary turns. Think of the fuel mileage you'll get!

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

"Think of the fuel mileage you'll get!"

Zero actually but your fuel costs will be low enough to make up for the dismal mpg!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

No, I thought this would let you get the door open so you could let the person that was riding with you out ! :-) In some Countries, it takes up to 1/2 an hour for a locksmith to let the famlies out when this happens. :-)

Note here: if you "hide" a key inside your car Leon and only you know where it might be found, you could then use that key to start your car. You could then drive to your job at the University. :-)

Just have'n fun Leon.

Bruce Bing '03 LE

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

No, no. You're stuck in "miles per gallon" mode. Think rather of "zero gallons per mile." Happier now?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I must object to the sloppy mathematics here. Mpg is not zero, and neither is gallons per mile. They are undefined. Gallon per hour is very, very good, though.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I've got to quit thinking in the 'reality based world'

I like that, zero gallons per mile!

Thanks, Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

And she was clearly right, as was our local parts person. I had a plain key made, hoping I could just leave the radio part of the stock key in the dash, but it actually insists on the key part in the lock. :)

Oh, well. With this key made, at least I do not have to lug along TWO of those suitcase-keys in case I lock my key in the trunk by mistake.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Hey, I like my M2 Nardi wheel.

Makes me feel ... special. Sort of Un - mazda. Italian.

-- Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon

No, no, you've got me wrong. I agree with Chris D., who now has a Nardi

3-spoke wheel on his M2, that the 1999-2005 Miata Nardi steering wheel is one of the best-looking airbag equipped steering wheels out there on any car.

Now Mazda has compicated and uglified the steering wheel beyond belief for the 2006 model, AND it has a recall for a potentially deadly airbag problem at low temperatures. (shaking head)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Pat:

I beg to differ. I think the new MX-5 wheel is a fine looking stock wheel. I love the wheel-mounted radio controls and the fact that it doesn't look like a fat blob of plastic like so many others. But how much does an airbag equipped aftermarket wheel cost and is it worth the expense?

Reply to
Fabiano

That is good to differ. It would be boring if we all liked the same styles, colors, etc.

I doubt if one is available yet for the 2006 model, but iirc, Leon found one with an airbag that looked nice for the first generation miata. I might be wrong, it was a while back.

It will be a while before buying a 2006+ model MX-5 will be an option for myself, there may be something out by then, maybe not. Whether it would be worth replacing would depend on how much money I had to spend on it, what it would cost, and how much better I liked the aftermarket steering wheel, assuming that one is eventually offered.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I paid $615 to get one from Germany for the M1.

It was it to me. But I do not think you are going to see one for the M3 anytime soon, if ever. The manufacturer would have to find a solution to all the audio and cruise controls.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen