removing crank pulley

hi,

i am striping the motor from a 95 m-ed and i am stuck on the crank pulley. any suggestions other than using the special service tool? the supercharger and the tranny have been sent out to be worked on.

tia, peter

Reply to
peter

I don't know what yours looks like specifically. But here are three suggestions:

  1. Make a holding tool such as the one shown here:
  2. Put the transmission in gear so the pulley will not move. Use a breaker bar and socket. Position the breaker bar so you have to apply force in the upward direction to loosen the nut. Put a mechanical or hydraulic jack under the breaker bar and jack up the bar until the nut breaks free.

  1. There are those who use a variation of (2) by resting the end of the breaker bar on the floor and engaging the starter. Although they swear by it, I have my doubts as to how safe and sane it is. Also, you now have to re-align your crankshaft and cams. This isn't too bad for those who know what they are doing...but why bother when you have two other options.

Good luck,

Ken

peter wrote:

Reply to
KWS

thanks for the options. what my engine guy advised my to do, since the motor was out of the car, was: to remove the fly wheel with impact tools, put two of the flywheel bolts back in a few turns, wedge a sturdy bar between the two bolts and the floor, oriented in the proper direction of rotation of removing the crank i.e. have the bar in the 4-5 pm position. impact the crank bolt.

worked like a dream, i love impact tools. thanks again, peter

Reply to
peter

With impact tools? Were you not concerned about the bearings?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen