Retractable Hard Top Model Comparison?

Is anyone in the group familiar with the early model (A and B) Miatas also familiar enough with the retractable hardtop model to provide a comparison?

I am not thinking of changing from my '97 M Edition to a hard top model now, but I think somewhere down the line I may consider the hard top model, particularly in terms of long highway trips getting to a twisty road destination.

So I am particularly interested in the "softer" side of the hardtop- equipped model; how it is on long trips (ambient noise level, seat comfort, ride quality), and what (if any) sacrifices you make in terms of handling, immediacy of response, steering feel, etc, when you take a hardtop model through the twisties.

Any feedback appreciated.

Tim

Reply to
Tim M.

I haven't owned either but I have driven both a 1993 model with a hardtop in place and a 2008 model with the PRHT raised and the hardtops seemed similar in what they did, though the two Miatas are not that much alike.

Both hardtops added a lot of comfort to the car compared to the ragtop, imo. That said, I only drove each one for a short time, and I have never driven the NC extensively.

The hardtop will not adversely affect handling or steering response on either car beyond a small, probably un-noticeable weight gain.

It adds around 80 pounds to the weight of the new Miata for whatever that counts for. This is about 30 more pounds than the 1989-2005 hartop adds, since the soft top usually stays on the car and the PRHT-equipped NC only one top.

I really, really like the PRHT. If I had a hardtop now, I would almost never use it, just too much trouble and not enough cold weather in Texas. By comparison, I would put my PRHT up almost every time I parked. No boot to deal with ever. It really is a convertible that turns into a "real" car whenever that is more convenient. Yeah, I like it. I even like how it looks. :-)

There were initially some concerns about the reliability of the PRHT, but it has held up very nicely since it was introduced. I have not heard of one going catywampus or anything yet. ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

Tim, go here

Do a search first, the information you seek will have been discussed in that forum.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

I'll throw one other issue into the mix! I'm a bit surprised by how quickly the NC cars have come down in price BUT, after watching prices (almost religiously) on these NC's for quite awhile now, I have yet to see what I consider a real 'bargain' price on a used PRHT. To me, that's a good sign as a potential owner but I'm not so thrilled about it as a potential buyer (of a used PRHT). Honestly though, the pain of paying a somewhat hefty price initially is likely to be softened by the expected reduced rate of value decline. I too, love that car. Seems everyone does! The best value I HAVE seen on the PRHT was $5k discount off MSRP on a new one, at a Mazda dealer out in Tucson (my car only breaks when it travels to AZ!), this was tempting!

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo