Roll Bars???

How many of you have had roll bars installed???

I always have thought it strange that they weren't/aren't required. mine is a 2000 Miata MX-5.

I have always told my Wife that if we get into a roll over wreck, try to get your head down as low as possible :-).

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

I considered it, so I could take my car to track days that require them. But my wife feels a rollbar would ruin the feeling of freedom for which we bought the car, and she's right. My brother's Miata has a rollbar, and I hate riding in it. Driving it is uncomfortable at best.

Miata rollovers are quite rare, and always seem to follow running off the pavement into a ditch. You're a lot more likely to get rearended, in which case the rollbar could kill you. Even the best rollbar padding is designed to work in conjunction with a helmet and a 5-point harness. Bareheaded, you're risking a skull fracture.

If you don't think the rollbar will smack your head, you haven't watched enough crash dummy videos.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

It's the first thing I did when I bought the car -- Hard Dog Hard Core, that fits under the top and the hardtop.

How does that happen? When we're in the car, we never see the roll bar, and it has no noticeable effect on air flow,so how does it decrease your "feeling of freedom"? Now the effete masses with wind screens and the side windows up,, that's another matter entirely... and let's not discuss "style bars" or hoops.

uncomfortable at best.

How does the rollbar make driving the Miata uncomfortable? When I'm driving mine, I don't even notice that it's there.

I'm 6'3", and I'll gladly take my chances with rollbar padding in a rear-ender. The Miata headrest isn't high enough to prevent my neck snapping anyway.

-- Larry ('95 R...)

Reply to
pltrgyst

I had one in my 1990 and just installed one in the '04 last weekend. I went with the Hard Dog M1 Sport for the '90 and the M2 Sport for the '04. It definitely adds some stiffness to the body, which was particulary noticeable in the '90. Photos of the installation on the '04 can be seen here:

Our club did lose a member to a rollover but it was a freak accident - he dropped a wheel off the shoulder and hit a rock which flipped his car. The top was down and he had no rollbar.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

I would think the fact that the top was down did not make much of a difference. Those long frame bars don't look to me like they would support a load anywhere comparable to the Miata's weight. AFAIK, the windshield header does, but being able to support the Miata's weight might not be enough if you roll.

Anyway, it seems to me that even with a roll bar, you can easily get killed in a non-track situation by some rock or object poking past the roll bar into the cabin.

Of course, if you are a smart size, that is less of a concern. :) And I would hope around a track they would remove them.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Informative, thank you. It looks daunting enough that if I were to get one I might pay someone to install it. The Deuce looks pretty cool, but I don't know how much it would contribute to safety or stiffness.

Vixen is it? I like it.

Reply to
Carbon

OH Iva, I love your work method !!! If you get in the way enough, they will make you stop and get out of the way. THEN, you don't need to do anything at all. :-) Good move !

The Car and Roll Bar look good !

Bruce Bing '03 LS

Reply to
BRUCE HASKIN

My 2000 is also a red one looking just like yours, black interior/top. And this does not interfere with the top or anything else??

Reply to
Jazz_Azz

Reply to
Clark Friedrichs

Hmmm. I'll have to add that to my wishlist. Install it yourself?

Reply to
Carbon

Some of us have a mental image of our surroundings even if we are not looking at it.

Leon

uncomfortable at best.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Our club has several members who are *very* knowledgeable about installing bars. I think they've done nearly 60 in the last couple of years. The only cost is a monetary donation to the club.

Yeah, it seems to fit her. Sleek and a little sassy. ;)

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Actually, everytime I tried to help, Lou or Bruce said I was in the way! So, I went inside and chatted with Lou's wife and Brent's wife about legal issues.

Transporting the un-installed bar in (on) the Miata was a challenge - and I just *knew* that Lou would have a great time harassing me about it. ;-)

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Nope, not at all. I even installed the padding and cover and the softop goes up over it with room to spare.

I have not put the hard top on the '04 yet but I don't anticipate the bar will interfere at all since it didn't with the '90.

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No more winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Aah, very zen. 8;)

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

Zen and the Art of Miata Maintenance?

Iva & Vixen

2004 Classic Red No moe winkin' Miata
Reply to
Iva

Matt Erdmann was certainly lucky. Not only did being rear-ended with a rollbar installed and no helmet not throw him into the bar crash-test dummy style, it also probably saved his life when the car was flipped over by the crash.

The 10AE on the testimonial page rolled over (on the street with no helmet), after drifting up a wall rather than into a ditch. This on a road that I have driven hundreds of times. Again, no smacking of the head, the driver was ok.

The first modification I will do to any NA or NB that I buy.

Pat

Reply to
pws

If one doesn't feel handy enough to take on such a task, would a Mazda dealer be able to install one??Would they??

Or whom else would one look for??

Reply to
S K

The dealer I'm familiar with would certainly not be capable of doing such a job.

I know who I'd ask in Minneapolis...

Reply to
Grant Edwards

The vendor might be able to recommend a place.

Reply to
XS11E