"scraping" sound on 94 Miata

For the last month or so, my Miata makes a scraping sound in between 2500 and

3500 RPM's , sometimes more, It seems to happen more uphills. The sould is like metal is scraping on the street. I just had my timing belt replaced a few months ago. Does anyone know what this could be. Car is a 5 speed. I hope it is not the transmission.
Reply to
PosterMen

Check the cam drive covers, one may be rubbing on the cam drive system. Robert

Reply to
Slowpoke

Well, don't know if this'll help or not, but my '00 made, actually still makes intermittently, an ugly sound right at 2900rpm that turned out to be the heat shield for the CAT vibrating against the floor pan. Don't know if I'd call it 'scraping' but it's ugly and metal-on-metal and only happens at

2900. The fix is not expensive, but elusive. You bend the shield (just a thin sheet of galvanized metal) just far enough away from the pan to disallow contact at the offending rpm - but - then you can have contact with the CAT so you bend it back a little. You continue doing this ad infinatum ad nauseum. It's sorta like M2 idle-droop. You just keep adjusting and adjusting and adjusting. I chalk these little besetments up to the Miata's English sports car heritage.

Stiff upper lip and all that, Ducks.

Steve McMahon Green JRSC '00LS

Reply to
McMahon