Searching in Mass.

Hello, I am currently looking to buy my first Miata and I live in Massachusetts. I was wondering if anyone in the area is selling a 90-94

5 speed Miata? If so, please email me with info at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com Thank You

P.S.-Yes, I've checked autotrader, various other online car searches and local want ads.

Reply to
NoteHead

How about miata.net?

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Yes, I've tryed the miata forum, the miata classifieds, mx6.com, forums.probetalk.com, 3si.org, superhonda.com, rx7club.com and many others.

Reply to
NoteHead

Miatas are fuel effecient. Buy the car out of state, buy a one-way plane ticket out there and drive it home. Should give you plenty of time alone with the car to get to know her.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

I wish I had the $$$. You see, in massachusetts, if you buy a car out of state, instead of paying the regular 5% sales tax, they bump it up to 12.5%. I guess alot of people were going out of state to buy new cars, and this is their way of trying to prevent it. If I could afford to pay the extra sales tax AND a plane ticket, I would, but, I can't.

Reply to
NoteHead

I am pretty sure that is illegal. They tried to pull the same joke in Florida, and the federal judge set them straight pretty good. An illegal restriction on Interstate commerce.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

afford

That sounds very fishy to me too....but you're buying a car from a private selller if you buy it used (from a person, not a dealer). You can buy it out of state within a private transaction and drive it home. There will probably be some fees for YOUR state, but they can't increase them as far as I know.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

All I know is my uncle whos a mechanic and owns houses in both MA and NH tells me this is true. He says MA is the only state where this happens (another reason why I want to move far far away). Hey, they dont call it taxachusetts for nothing.

Reply to
NoteHead

"NoteHead" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Plus, buying a one-way ticket these days is a sure way to get strip-searched at every airport.

Reply to
hoffman

Gee, I live in Massachusetts too and am planning to buy my first Miata this Spring, probably through eBay. I didn't know about the 12.5 percent?thanks for the heads up.

The tax certainly sounds improper. I've emailed our state and federal representatives and senators about this. Governor Mitt Romney too. I'll report back what they have to say.

LazyEights

Reply to
LazyEights

Hahaha....good point. I must remember that when I fly out of state to get mine. Maybe I won't wear any underwear just to piss off the TSA.

~Anthony

Reply to
Anthony

Ok, I found the answer:

I asked the same question on forum.miata.net and the 12.5% myth is just that...a MYTH. I'm glad I won't be paying an extra 7.5%!

Reply to
NoteHead

Actually, the thing still seems illegal to me, but anyway.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Me too. Lazy