Seat problem series III MX5

This is a question for European MX5 owners. I currently own a '98 series II MX5. I'm tall and the cabin is a tight fit for me. But still, it just fits. I want to buy a new series III MX5, which has the new high back seats. These seats must be at least 3 centimeters higher than the seats in my '98. I absolutley don't fit in the series III. My head creates a definite bump in the top, and I can't move my legs properly. What a difference with my '98 model! I'm very disappointed. The dealer claims that there is no way to lower the seats, and advices to have the interior of the seats removed and replaced by thinner material by a professional upholsterer. But that's something I'm reluctant to do - what if this doesn't give te desierd results? Then I'm stuck with a car I don't fit in. is tehre anypone who has tackled this problem?

Martin van Duijn

snipped-for-privacy@seashore123.nl (please remove the 123 if you mail me)

Reply to
Van Duijn

I've bought my mx5 (nb 2001) without even a test drive, so I was a bit worried about fitting in, so I googled the question. First solution was to remove some foam from the seat, about 3cm more headroom (people who did it, didn't complain about comfort). 2nd to remove seat rails and bolt the seat right down (can't move it later on), but adds some (iirc)

3 or 5cm of more head room. 3rd solution was to buy a new seat, more sporty, bucket type, it's less comfortable then the oem one, but I guess that's better than hitting the roof with your head!

check out the pages of people who autocross on

there are some tall dudes with helmet issues, maybe that helps.

if you ever get down to croatia (I was in amsterdam last summer), contact us @

and we'll give you a grand tour :)

Reply to
Domagoj Bagaric