Self-created shifter problem

Okay, I'm dumb. I replaced the shift boots but apparently did something wrong replacing the lever and now it shifts but doesn't feel right. Getting into fourth is harder than it should be and it's sloppy in fifth, etc.

Could I have bent something? Is there some secret to reseating the lever?. Everything's under a lot of fluid and difficult to see. The enthusiast's manual doesn't seem to have a good schematic so I'll be taking it back apart and feeling around.

One thing, the plastic seat for the ball of the shift lever didn't come out the second time I pulled it. It's down there but maybe it needs to be reoriented? Admittedly I'm guessing here.

Any advice or pointers to good pictures or schematics would be appreciated.

93 Miata

JJ

Reply to
me

Nevermind. User error. Turns out that I somehow managed to pull the plastic guide/washer/fitting off, and when I replaced the lever there apparently wasn't enough pressure to reseat the ball on the end of the lever down into the plastic washer. That kind of surprises me. The lever was slopping around on top of that piece. Fished the plastic washer/guide out, snapped it on the ball and everything's hunky-dory.

However, as stupid as I feel, I'm happy to report that replacing the shifter boots has dramatically reduced the amount of heat in the center console.

No if I could only find the stupid vibration noise coming from under the dash somewhere.

Black and tan 93'

JJ

Reply to
me

"That way lies madness."

Reply to
Grant Edwards

On second thought, I think it's "That way mandess lies".

Reply to
Grant Edwards