SF Bay Area alignment shop recs request

Hi,

Thanks again to all who replied to my question about what tires to buy. I will be getting the Yokohama AVS ES100s.

Now my question is where to have said tires put on my car. I have the names of two shops that were recommended by people on this list years ago, but I want to get current info in case opinions have changed.

The shops that were mentioned previously are:

Custom Alignment 2599 Wyandotte St. Mountain View, CA 94043 (650) 961-5311

PR Motorsports 9845 Cabot Hayward 510-786-0851

Are these still the recommended shops for Miata wheel alignment? Is one considered better than the other? Is there another shop that has developed a better reputation than these over the past few years?

Thanks, /e

Reply to
Elizabeth Friedman

Putting tires on wheels and aligning wheels are two completely different tasks.

Custom alignment is a specialty shop for alignment. They should be better in that or they are in trouble. They did a great job twice on Bozo when I was in the area.

Elizabeth, the local Miata club is BAMA (Bay Area Miata Association.) I think you should really consider joining, or at least have a look at their web site (link probably on miata.net.)

I am not a precision driver, but based on my understanding and experiences, I prefer Lanny's alignment recommendations.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

That they are. I made an assumption that an alignment shop will be able to put the tires on the wheels as well. If this is incorrect, I'm also in the market for a good shop to put on the tires.

Ah, good to know. Another assumption of mine was that PR Motorsports is an alignment shop, too.

I just checked out their web site, and it's hard to know whether businesses are listed based on personal recommendation.

PR Motorsports is listed, along with a link to their site, so now I see that they do maintenance of all types.

OK, thanks.

/e

Reply to
Elizabeth Friedman

Custom Alignment will do both, and will do a great job. They have top-of-the-line balancing and alignment equipment. Unfortunately, over the last couple of years they've taken to charging top-of-the-line prices, too. They're a great shop, but you might want to make sure you ask for a price, and then call a few other places, just to see if you can't save a bit of money.

You could call up PR Motorsports, but I don't think they mess with tires and alignment. They might have a recommendation for another nearby shop that could do it for you, though.

Kevin snipped-for-privacy@bayarea.net

Reply to
Kevin Lahey