Sharper Mazda RX-8 heralds new flagship

The new range-topping model will be based on the RX-8 RS that has leaked on internet sites ahead of its debut at January's Tokyo Auto Salon.

The RS itself adopts subtle visual enhancements on top of the RX-8's revised front and rear styling that is being showcased at the Detroit motor show before both models reach Australia mid-year.

A rear spoiler and larger, wishbone-style alloy wheels are added to the new four-door coupe's more aggressive front end, which features wider and deeper grille and side air intakes. New headlights, tail- lights and body-coloured bottom rear bumper complete the other major visual changes.

The range-topping RX-8 will share the same, carried-over 177kW rotary engine as the regular model, although improved performance and handling will be achieved through less weight and an uprated suspension. _____________ Used Car Donation Car and Autos Zone

john

I'm amazed they shift any, given current fuel prices. I suppose it's OK compared to a big V8.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

It's not that much different from a 350Z. The new engine should be a little less thirsty.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

We don't agree on that, I liked the first generation of "Z" cars and I think it's been downhill ever since in the looks department.

Reply to
XS11E

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I didn't much like the interior either, but non-DIN radios are one of my pet peeves, and IIRC, the RX-8 has a particularly annoying oval opening for the radio.

It was definitely fun to drive...

My Miata is my "big" car. My small car is a Yamaha FJ. :)

Reply to
Grant Edwards