Shift boot replacement frequency?

I've just ordered replacement shift boots, the little rubber on that goes on the transmission, the larger one that goes on the floor and the one that is visible inside. They're all bad, the inner ones are torn and as for the outer one, the leather has become stiff and inflexible and has finally torn the mountings loose requiring me to replace the center console as well!

It's only been about 5 years or so since I replaced all three, is that normal?

Reply to
XS11E

Yes, unfortunately. If you keep the Miata outside, operate it in hot and cold weather, expect to change the boots now and then. That reminds me, it's been more than five years since I replaced the boots on my 99. Naturally, the interior plastic trim and so forth get more brittle with each passing year.

Reply to
charlie

I think every five years or so, is about right. That's been my experience.

Chris

99 BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I wish they were cheaper! ;-)

Reply to
XS11E

Of what is this not true, my friend? ;-) I don't remember how much I've spent but I'm sure it pays to research that one! How much did they set you back? I'm thinking off the top of my head maybe $50 for the 2 combined?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

There's 3, the little one on the bottom that bolts to the tranny, the big one that bolts to the floor and the one you see that screws onto the center console. They're now $97.19 from Rosenthal, about $125 from local dealer.

I had to replace all 3, the little one and the next one were all torn up and the top one was a genuine leather one that had hardened (no idea why?) and become so stiff that shifting had torn off the studs on the center console! I found a new console on Ebay for cheap so now it's all done and I'm broke.

Still gotta fix the radio, I have a buzz in the left door speaker. I removed the speaker but left it connected and... no buzz! So something is loose in the door.... that's gonna be fun to find!

Then I have to get a new windshild (it's badly etched from a sandstorm in California) and sell the car.

Reply to
XS11E

That doesn't sound good! But, I know; you gotta do what you gotta do! cd

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Actually, it might make things worse if it attracts grit and so forth. A rubber "sealer" might help.

Reply to
charlie