Shock dust cover problem

I just jacked up my white '91 (no easy task on a crush-and-run driveway in WV) trying to figure out how to change the oil. The car had Tokico shocks/springs when I bought it and so sits an inch or so lower than stock, so the problem of getting to the drain plug is enhanced. Which brings me to the real problem, noticed while the car was up. The dust cover on the shock (at least the front right one) has deteriorated to uselessness.

Is there any fix to this situation short of removing the shocks/springs to install new dust covers?

DonB

Reply to
DonB

No, but if you have four jack stands and a pair of 2x4's you can hold up the whole car. I cut a slot 3/8" x 3/4" deep in the long side of a 2x4 that spans the length of the two jack points on the body rail. This allows me to use a floor jack centered under the door and lift the car one side at a time. The shocks can be removed by removing one bolt in the lower suspension for each corner. You will probably only need a spring compressor for the rear shocks if you have lowering springs. Have it re-aligned when you are done.

Reply to
Slowpoke