Shocks?

I have a 2006 MX-5 with 36,000 miles and noticed over the past couple of weeks, sometimes when I drive over a hard bump or dip in the road it feels like the rear end is "bottoming out". Could this mean I need new shocks? When I get out of the card and push up and down on the rear end, it feels normal. Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Raover

Yes, increased bottoming in dips is a classic sign or worn shocks. 36k is an average lifespan for OEM shocks. Time for new ones.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Thanks.

Reply to
Raover

Blimey 36k and 3 years? sounds VERY low to me - as I'm no expert try (1999 1.8 with 70k and original shocks) and glean information from some of the mx5 fan/owners web sites including fizzindi

Reply to
Ttoommy

just as a second opinion or as ameans of gathering more info - no offence to Lanny as he had helped me out in the past

I guess shocks like brakes/clutches aren't covered by the warranty?

Reply to
Ttoommy

IMHO, the shocks in the rear of the 2005 on are a little soft. Mine has that bottom out feeling, and gets a little unsettled if I hit a big bump mid corner. I'll be renewing very soon at 40,000km.

OzOne of the three twins

I welcome you to Crackerbox Palace.

Reply to
OzOne

FWIW, 40,000 miles has, for many years, been a rule of thumb for shock replacement for all cars unless you spend a bunch for Sears Best which will last for about two weeks before going totally mushy! Don't ask how I know this..... :-(

Reply to
XS11E

you bunch of rotters ;-)

Now I feel like a real cheapskate - not only I "should" be fitting a new hood (10 yrs old and a tension spring/cable (?) snapped ) I also should be fitting new shocks -

as my next service is just a minor one/oil change I probably will have to invest in some shocks - that mid corner bump comment hit home

Reply to
Ttoommy

I don't think you'll ever regret it. I've always had good luck with the KYB's. I like, not just the adjustability but the ease of that adjustability! Stock springs generally will work just fine so don't throw your money away thinking that they are worn out too. They are not. Upgrade them only if you want major stiffening with or w/o lowering.

Careful with the spring compressor if you decide to DIY!

Chris

99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo