Should I buy a convertible car?

That was our previous VHF-UHF mobile unit, the FT-8100. It was also mounted in the passenger side tunnel and used a dual-band magmount on the trunk lid.

We have found with HF and the ATAS that we have to mount the GPS antenna on the opposite side of the rear deck as it behaves weirdly when we're transmitting. The speaker is a 4" MFJ mobile sitting in the windblocker pocket between the seats.

Luckily there is nothing in the internal workings of the Rollerskate that's affected by HF and we're only running 100W. Next step is to use one of the jacks visible to the right of the FT-100D control head to try CW, perhaps with a knee-mounted key or bug.

Toys! Toys. Always fun.

BTW, I see you're into astronomy and photography also. Small world; so are we . We're both members of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, and have frequently sat out in deck chairs watching meteors and the SO did try something once a long time ago with meteor scatter and a helix antenna.

-- Nora VE2HAX (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver Miata here)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
FFFR 4 pix
RATG III pix
NH Spring Run
FFFR5 maps

Reply to
Nora

Heck, why stop at 80m ? Even hard-core hams rarely try 160. I tend to think three Mazdas would be required; one for each end and one for the feed-point.

Dana K6JQ

Reply to
Dana Myers

Now that would be precision driving. Far more precise than a rally! 75mph (or more) on some of those western twisties...

And then there's the quad possibility :eek:

-- Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver Miata here)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
FFFR 4 pix
RATG III pix
NH Spring Run
FFFR5 maps

Reply to
Nora

Rewire one of your horn buttons, Nora.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Horn buttons have always had terrible 'feel' to me, I've never liked 'em for sending Morse.

Dana

Reply to
Dana Myers

Then you'd probably hate my second idea: the handbrake lever. :-)

I swear 10% of the drivers on the road are using their left feet to communicate with each other using their brakelights.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Well, a Miata is a addictive as mentioned else where. I am married and I have two children. At one time we had two miata. It is amazing how original and creative you can get when you want to be. For example, you put one child in each car and take both cars for the weekly grocery shopping trip. we did get some strange looks from the bag boy when he/we loaded the grocery bags into two cars. What other cars can cause you to have so much fun?

They are great fun to drive and you meet the nicest people. Did I mention that they are about as much fun as you can have outside of an in-door coeducational wrestling match?

Reply to
Michael & Paula Whitehouse

IMHO a RWD roadster is much more fun to drive.

My Miata is not the only car I own, but it *IS* the only car I drive in warm weather.

Can you think of a friend/relative/whoever who wouldn't trade their vehicle for yours (Miata) for a day? Especially on a warm sunny day!

Not me...You'd be surprised by what you can fit in a Miata with a little thought and planning. Found a picture out there on the web of a Miata with a 16" foot canoe on the roof. A little extreme for me but it seems the guy thought it out a figured a way.

JV

96 Montego (Lil' Blue)
Reply to
JV

Hmmm. Won't work. Morse is a sound language, sorta like Pavlov's response to a rhythm, and it doesn't work with lights or dots and dashes on a page.

Furthermore, it doesn't work with whacks on a water pipe with a hammer such as one sees in the movies because of the impossibility of making a long and a short whack.

You'd have to use semaphore with the lights :D

-- Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver Miata here)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
FFFR 4 pix
RATG III pix
NH Spring Run
FFFR5 maps

Reply to
Nora

even more OT...

Back in the day (before radio), there weren't "beeps", just a click when you closed the key and another one when it opened. With the device I heard, the two clicks sounded a little different from each other, so that probably made it a bit easier. But I don't know why the same system wouldn't work with water pipes.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

The code is in the pauses BETWEEN the whacks.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Now I'll have to go out and rent a DVD of a prison-life movie and try reading the spaces.

Jeez. Talk about thread drift... :D

-- Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver Miata here)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
FFFR 4 pix
RATG III pix
NH Spring Run
FFFR5 maps

Reply to
Nora

The Navy would be surprised to hear that. They've used flashing lights for at least 100 years to communicate with other ships underway. They even use infrared light (a.k.a. "Nancy gear").

Ah, I once had a Jaguar saloon with Trafficators. I suppose they might be modified for semaphore... :-)

See

Lanny Chambers

Oh, like your typical Hollywood actor knows Morse...it'd be worse than watching them fake playing the violin.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I'd say it's more like comparing apples to meatloaf.

Reply to
Dash Fieldpaint

Gee, Lanny, do you really think it is interesting for us to know that you had a car with turn signals??

Too much time in the saloon, obviously.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 00:00:07 GMT, dommelen@REMOVE_THIS_TAGmiata.net (Leon van Dommelen) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

According to the definition you posted, Lanny didn't have trafficators

"Definition:[n] a blinking light on a motor vehicle that indicates the direction in which the vehicle is about to turn "

If you look closely at the picture in the link Lanny posted, you'll see the 'trafficator' mid door. We used to have a VW with those. There were no blinking lights involved.

Our VW was not a saloon...

:)

Reply to
Dave Null Sr.

If you'd looked at the link I supplied, you'd realize your "dictionary" is wrong, or at least too shallow to be more than superficially useful. A rocket scientist should have higher standards!

My Jag's Trafficators (a British trademark, I suspect) flipped out from high on the B pillar, and the flags lit up amber. Since a 1948 Jag sedan was certainly one of the era's more sporting vehicles, each flag was restrained by a pin to prevent spurious deployment during brisk cornering; the pin was retracted by a solenoid activated by the turn signal switch in the steering wheel hub. Very clever, and very prone to malfunction. I'm pretty sure they were Lucas products.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

My parents, a looooong time ago, had some kind of Rover or Morris or something with little frosted-orange plastic arrow-shaped wings that would pop out of the B-pillar, indicating which direction the car's driver might turn.

Is that them? Wow, my grammar's gone to pot - pass the coffee...

-- Nora (imagine a Canadian flag here) =======================and the Rollerskate (imagine a '99 gleaming silver Miata here)

HOME PAGE
Rollerskate
FFFR 4 pix