Slime or not to Slime, that is the question!

Has anyone used Slime in their Miata? I have 3 tires that have a tendency to loose air, I am assuming along the bead of my stock alloys. Last fall I had the same tire removed and the bead and rim cleaned twice! and it still does the same thing today....along with 2 other tires. I have the car parked next to the compressor so before every run I check all 4 tires. Not a big deal but it is getting old.

I read a thread that Slime is not supposed to throw the balance off or wreck the inside surface of the rims. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Mike

Why do you assume that? No one else is having problems with losing air from stock alloys. More likely you have either bad valve cores or punctures. Take a tire off the car and paint it all over with soapy water--the fix will suggest itself once you find the leak.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I have used slime for my mountain bike tires for over 12 years. The stuff really works. I used to get flats all the time but slime cut that to 1/20th of the frequency. As far as cars go? I can't help you on that one.

BTW, I never noticed any off-balanceness of my mb tires but you do have to put the slime in then rotate the tire to get a good, even coating on the inside.

Reply to
Santos L. Halper

I'd replace the tires before I put any goop in them. If the rim isn't damaged, they should seal without any goop.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Before I pull 3 out of 4 tires off to "fix" and not take care of the problem again, I will buy 4 new tires which would have been needed sometime in the future anyway. The valve stem was changed on the twice "fixed" wheel, not to say it might not still be the problem. I didn't think the Slime idea would be a good one for cars, but I thought I would ask. Thanks to everyone for the replies!

Reply to
Mike