Slipping belt

When I got my timing belt done I had them do the water pump and drive belts too. A little while after my drive belt started to slip and make that horrible squealing noise. I brought it back to the garage and he retensioned them. It was fine for awhile but now it's doing it again. The belt seems pretty tight to me. Just wondering if this is normal for a new belt and I just need to adjust it again. But then I don't want to over tension it and put too much pressure on the alt. bearings, etc. Any words of wisdom?

Reply to
Scott Streeter

Scott Streeter wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@CCC3.WPI.EDU:

If the belt is tight but still slip maybe something is not turning freely. Check the idler pulleys, AC compressor, alternator, etc.

Reply to
XS11E

Look for an oil leak from the cam cover. A tiny seep can drip onto the belt and cause a squeal. It doesn't take much. BTDT.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

I had this same problem after replacing both my fanbelts. I used Goodyear Gatorback belts because I always felt that they were the best. I was retensioning the belts slightly every 3-4 days. I was advised to replace the aftermarket belts with OEM belts. Since replacing them, the problem has entirely gone away.

Reply to
Brian Minto

See thread for "Shrieking Noise" from 10/26.

Reply to
KKennedy

Man, it has been a while since I have dealt with a fan belt. What car were you working on?

Pat

Reply to
pws

Reply to