Snow: Wide or tall tire better - or just biggest?

Hello,

What's best between 185/60, 185/65 or 195/60, 195/65 (all with 14x5.5 rims)?

Thank you,

Gary Fuchs

Reply to
gfphoto

Generally tall and narrow tires will work better in snow and ice. A narrow tire will put more weight per contact area on the road surface and will cut through the snow making better contact with the road. A tall tire reduces the torque at the road surface similar to starting in a high gear. I learned early on driving in Wisconsin to start in 2nd gear on slippery roads. Similarly, the "Winter" setting on our Volvo simply locks the transmission in 3rd gear. Of course, tall tires will also lift the car increasing clearance and reducing the chance of becoming high centered on snow. However, keep in mind that tread pattern and compound are probably more important for good winter road performance.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

185/1237 are excellent on a miata, but they may have a fender-clearance problem.

No problem, Gary.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I'm confused. A 185/1237 is no wider than a 185/60. It would just be a lot lower profile and smaller in diameter. I don't see how this would cause fender clearance problems.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

It's a lot taller, not smaller.

Reply to
Matthew Russotto

Sorry, I was confused. I was thinking 12.37 which would be 1/5 the profile of a 60 not a 1237 which would be something like 20 times the profile. I stand corrected.

Gus (91 BRG)

Reply to
Gus

Gus,

Thanks for the advice! And for taking the question seriously! I would never say who doesn't always do this...

Cheers,

Gary Fuchs '99

Reply to
gfphoto

Leon,

I know you always give advice based on your personal experience; so would you mind posting a picture of Bozo with those sixteen foot shoes?

Cheers,

Gary Fuchs '99

Reply to
gfphoto

Reply to
Big Lizard

Thanks!

Reply to
gfphoto
175/75-R14 will fit under the fenders, is a common snow tire size, and is nice and narrow...and a bit taller than the stock tire which gives just a bit more snow drift clearance...
Reply to
DH

Thanks for the tip, I'll check out that size.

Reply to
gfphoto