Spark Plugs and Wires

Not looking for a race machine, just the most recommended plugs and wires for a stock 1991 Miata.

Reply to
Pat

NGK for both. The NGK plug specified in the owner's manual is the one you want. The blue NGK replacement wires are cheap and quite durable. You can spend more money if you don't like blue, but they won't work any better on a stock engine.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Reply to
RichH

Unless the speed shop puts on carefully crafted rubber heads to seal off the plug holes and uses insulation that can withstand the excessive temperatures and double duty cycle of the Miata engine, I would not bother. Tinned ends or not.

Go for NGK as Lanny says and stop worrying about it. Or do like I do and get the red ones from R-Speed, which match my red vacuum tubes. (Wait, that does not sound right...)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I have bought the cheap ones at Grand Auto or wherever. Biggest pain is that they are all the wrong length and must be cut to fit. It's not a big deal for me to do and I have found that they seem to last as long as the OEM wires.

If you are not into remaking wire ends, go with something that's cut to length....like the OEM wires. If you want a specific color; that's as good a criteria for wire as anything else.

Personally, I think that this whole subject has an aura of snake oil. It's just not a big deal. Having said that, I put OEM wires in last time as it was easy to order them as I was talking on the phone to the guy at Trussville.

Ken '90B

Reply to
Ken Stoorza