Speakers and windshield

Well, wih the hard top on over the winter, the oem speakers in my '97 Miata M Edition showed their age. I have replaced them with Infiniti speakers in both the doors and the headrests this past weekend, and the improvement in sound quality is remarkable. Especially in the headrests, the sound is cleaner and the improvement is noticeable even with the soft top, and even with the top down. Quite happy.

Tomorrow morning I have an appointment to have a new windshield installed. My wondshield isn't broken, but the 13 years of sand, gravel, and wiper wear have made it practically opaque when the sun is close to the horizon, and I am looking forward to looking forward without squinting!

Tim

Reply to
Tim M.

That is excellent! Along with the long list of upgrades, my 1991 Miata had an almost brand-new windshield when I bought it about 5 years ago.

It was in much nicer condition than the windshield on the 1996 model that it replaced. It was a big draw towards getting the car.

Here in Austin, replacing the windshield about once a decade or so is probably not a bad idea. IIRC, John M. needed it even more often in Alaska.

I have not cracked a windshield in almost 20 years, just chips and lots of sandblasting.

Pat

Reply to
pws

a new windshield was probably the best upgrade i did to my 95. it was really dangerous at times at night with on coming headlights, and as you mention in direct morning/evening sunlight. funny how insurance companies will pay for a replacement windshield with a tiny crack but won't pay for a replacement for an old windshield that has such poor visibility that it can cause of an accident.

Reply to
Christopher Muto

I'm about to be on my third since I got the car less than 3 years ago. First one, going to work in the rain a year or so ago, WHAP!, big rock thrown up by a passing truck. Then a couple of weeks ago, some kid whips into my lane ahead of me, WHAP! again.

At least it's covered by my insurance.

Reply to
Carbon

Good point, I think it's a matter of there being a clear definition, it's either cracked or it's not cracked. With the sand blasting, how do you draw the line when some goofball wants to replace his once a year and nobody but him can see anything wrong with it! Unfortunately, that's the real reason.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Perhaps you could talk a cop into issuing an inspection ticket for an obscured windshield, then submit that as evidence?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

That is just plain bad luck, something I am very familiar with on a lot of subjects.

I did notice this morning that the windshield on the 1995 Accord I am driving is in incredibly good condition.

The car does have very low miles for being 15 years old, but still, I usually have some chips and abrasions on any car with more than 10,000 miles.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I lost two windshields on two different cars (a couple of years apart) on almost the exact same spot in I-17. Both were caused by large trucks throwing up big rocks.

Reply to
XS11E

Better yet, a WARNING ticket! Ya, I like that idea, it could work.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

This sounds better and better, my 99's windshield (and the whole front of my car for that matter (I HATE Houston for this) are pretty sandblasted up.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

To bad you don't live in Florida. A sandblasted windshield is a no deductible replacement on most policies.

Reply to
Chuck

It may be here and I just don't know it. My brother (in AZ) says his policy will change his windshield for ANY reason, up to 3 times a year! He says it's Allstate. To be honest, I've never inquired but I think I will do that.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo