squeel

Every once in a while, I hear a high pitched squeal form my 1990 Miata... it's worse if the A/C is on, and accompanied with a hiccup in power then, but it's started doing it now without the air on & with no hiccup then.

What's wrong?

Reply to
Lisa

If it is doing it when you turn the wheel, it is the belt driving the power steering pump and AC. Easy to check. Just turn the AC on full and turn the steering wheel full left.

Check belt for cracks. Tighten belt if no significant cracks. Tighten belt even more if significant cracks.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
Lisa

Next one I would check is the alternator belt. Try turning on A/C and big lights. Also, with the engine off, check the belts for tightness, cracks, foreign substances.

You may also want to look at the miata sounds page:

Leon

"Lisa" wrote:

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Ah! That's the problem -- Miati aren't designed to "cruise down a straight stretch of highway." Gotta have some twistys in the mix!

Reply to
Southoceandrive

well, I can't always take the Blue Ridge Parkway... I live practically on top of it, but it doesn't lead to my job at all.

Reply to
Lisa