Starter "Button"

I _so_ don't get it.

Why add an extra step to starting the car?

What's wrong with the "starter button" that's built into the ignition switch assembly?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Well, it's not logical obviously but it's just sort of "retro cool" for lack of a better term. To each his own.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo
Reply to
Leon van Dommelen
Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Anyone know where I can get a crank handle fot the retro-extreme look?

Reply to
Mal Osborne

The only reason a starter switch might need an earth (ground) is if it's wired to connect one terminal of the starter relay to ground, rather than interrupting the +12vdc feed.

That would be exactly the same as activating the starter with the stock switch while the engine is running.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst

No earth is required, nor is it provided. There is none on the push button that is referenced in this thread. I question your experience with push buttons because mine is very different.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I prefer "rope-pull" lawn mower look LOL

Reply to
Remove This

I always liked the "pull-to-start" button in my MGA... never thought about why it was a pull rather than push, the above might be the answer - harder to accidentally trigger.

miker

Reply to
miker

Untrue. In that case it would not have started the car at all.

Except the stock switch is *much* more difficult to activate accidentally.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Well, the manufacturer of my re button must now know his/her own product then.

True, That is why I warned the OP about this push button.

You are free to do so, but the facts are beyond dispute. My starter button came with an earth. When the earth got loose, starting became a random event. This was observed for several weeks several times a day until I finally caught on.

Facts are funny things. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Actually, facts are rather boring. It's observations and conclusions that are funny.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Apparently you either don't understand basic electricity, or you don't comprehend English well.

A starter switch activates the starter by completing the circuit providing 12vdc to the starter relay or solenoid. It can do so by completing the circuit in one of two ways:

  1. If the negative side of the relay coil is permanently wired to ground, the switch must provide +12vdc to the positive side of the coil. In this case, no ground is required at the switch; the ground side of the circuit is permanently completed.
  2. If the positive side of the coil is permanently wired to +12vdc, the switch can apply 12vdc to the coil by connecting the negative side of the coil to ground. The +12vdc connection is permanently completed. In this case, the switch connects the negative side of the coil to either a solid ground or a direct wire to the negative side of the battery. The +12vdc connection is permanently completed.

The second possibility is the one I posited above.

-- Larry

Reply to
pltrgyst
Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I just turn the ignition on, put 'er in neutral, release the parking brake, start rolling to about 5 mph, put 'er in 2nd, disengage the clutch, and off we go. No starter button (or battery) needed...

Reply to
Fabiano

Adding a starter button to a perfectly good starting switch on the ignition is like mounting a windshield wiper on a duck's ass. Why do it? Just one more redundant feature to fail and leave you stranded. Just my two cents. Love the '06' MX-5. Can't wait to own one!

Reply to
chance