suspension upgrades

I'm going to be replacing the suspension on my Miata soon (at 104,000 miles on stock shocks, it's time), and I need some advice. I'm going to do shocks, though I haven't decided what kind to get. I don't do any autocross or anything like that, but I do like to thrash a backroad or two. I'd been leaning towards KYB AGXs, or the non-adjustables, but then I heard someone mention that they squeaked or squished or something like that?

Should I do springs too while I'm in there? I really don't want to lower the car any, but all the springs I've seen so far will lower it. Does it make sense to install the lowering springs and put a lift kit in there to regain the lost inch or so?

I've also heard about replacing all the suspension bushings too. Haven't had much time to research that yet, but any thoughts on whether I even should?

Thanks

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

I'm pretty happy with the AGX's I isntalled a couple months back. The softest setting is a bit stiffer than stock, and just right for the driving I do. They do make a squish or hiss as they're compressed (or extended, I don't know which). It's only noticable if you hit a good size bump at parking-lot speeds with the top down. I rather like it. :)

I spent hours and hours trying to find slightly stiffer or progressive rate springs that didn't lower the car. No luck. All the springs available lowered the car way too much for me, so I left the stock ones on. AFAIKT, the ride height is same as when new, so the springs must be OK.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I have to agree here. The hissing sound when rolling over bumps with the top down sounds rather satisfying. Had my AGX's on for two years now and I still love 'em.

Paco

97 Montego Blue (for fun only) 94 Dodge Grand Caravan ES (work van) The La-z-boy with wheels 87 Toyota Vanwagon (backup work van) Yes, it has an engine... somewhere.
Reply to
Pacocase

For springs you check with:

I have a set from Coil Springs, they workednice for 100k. But now starting to sage like the OEM's did at 100k, too. Or

mcyben

Last spring I installed on my '92 the Flyin' Miata Stage One suspension kit which includes the KYB AGX shocks with the Flyin' Miata springs. I am very pleased with the upgrade. It did lower the car about an inch in the front and one and a half inches in the rear.

-16550

I was very surprised that the ride is smoother than the stock springs. I have the shocks set a 4 (out of 8 max), which provides for a firm, but not a bone-jarring, ride.

If you really object to lowering the car, I suggest staying with the stock springs.

Good Luck.

G. Lee

Reply to
JDMX5er

Well, the only thing I have against lowering it is that we have really bad roads up here in Maine, and the really good Miata roads up here all cut through the middle of nowhere, and are not the best maintained. Lowering it could lead to dammage to the undercarriage and other nasty surprises.

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

That stage three kit looks really nice. Shocks, springs, sway bars, shock tower brace, and they'll give you back the inch you lost on springs. Awful lot of money, though.

What's the difference between coilovers and regular parts? Are the coilovers all one piece?

-- Tonyrama Crystal White '93 A

Reply to
tonyrama

I'd definitely check out the ride height issue with the Stage 3--I could be wrong, but I don't think it gives you your ride height back, just the suspension travel you lost by installing the springs in the first place.

Reply to
tooloud

That stage three kit looks really nice. Shocks, springs, sway bars,

I would check with the folks at Flyin' Miata, but I don't thing the Stage Three Kit will give you the ride height back. The purpose of the new upper shock mount, as the previous post indicated, is to regain the lost shock travel when the car is lowered. The folks at Flyin' Miata advised me that unless I was driving the car near its limits, such as auto crossing or the like, I would not receive any benefit from the new mounts. The suggestion was to install the Stage One Kit and if the new shocks bottomed out (hit the bump stops) then I should install the new mounts. I have not experienced any bottoming out of the shocks.

You may have already seen it, but here is a link to the Flyin' Miata Ground Control Coilover Kit that allows you to adjust the ride height. The shocks are not included.

-46510

As the description of the kit states, all Miatas (Miati??) have coilovers.

BTW, the roads here in PA are horrible, too.

G. Lee

Reply to
JDMX5er