Taken for a ride?

Well, on my way up I95 to catch some Superbowl festivities, the clutch suddenly lost pressure. I was able to limp to a shop in 2nd gear and they confirmed what I thought, which was a bad clutch slave. Well, they insisted that I replace the master also and wouldn't warranty the slave without it. In addition, they charged 2 hours labor when the job was an hour. They stated the "guide" gave the repair time at 2 hours so that's what they needed to charge. Finally, they charged $30 to flush and fill the clutch (a $3 bottle of fluid at best and a few pumps of the clutch). They last straw was a $25 charge to inspect the car (I told them what the problem was and they just put it on the lift) I insisted they take that charge off and they did. Bottom line, $460 to replace clutch slave, master cylinder, and refill system. So, did I get taken?

Reply to
Dan

Yes. but that is common when they know you're stranded in the sticks? Don't sweat it. Just bad luck.

Reply to
seasalt726

Those 2 parts are around $115 retail, so that means they cost them, what about $60 max? So, they made at least a couple hundred in pure profit off of you, even after paying the mechanic.

Of course, what else were you going to do? Drive all the way home in 2nd gear?

(I'm in the wrong line of work!)

Regards, H.

Reply to
HardwareLust