the blinkin' air bag light...

Is there any significance to a blinking air bag light in my '93 Miata? It's okay for me to ask this, because I'm blonde. candy'93red

Reply to
Candy

My face is red. I just read the 8/8/04 entry asking precisely the same question. SORRY! Since the "cure" for this problem seems very complicated, can I just enjoy the Christmas-like atmosphere and ignore the message it's sending, or is it important? candy'93red

Reply to
Candy

It's not as silly a question as it sounds. I too have a blinking air bag light. I know that there is a fault detected but what I don't know is if it is still functional. At this point it's best to assume it does not work. I'm also wondering if, in TX, this will cause a car to fail safety inspection. Before you gaff in horror, thinking that this is what safety inspections are all about! Let me just mention that my 96 Accord couldn't be passed untill I replaced the coil which had a fault in the sender that sent the engine speed to the tach. Tell me that is SAFETY RELATED!

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Only if you worry about your life or those of the ones around you, I would think. Of course, there might be nonfatal injuries that are worse, in case that makes a difference.

Take it to a shop.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
Candy

Reply to
Daniel Nguyen

Reply to
Candy

That is your right, and fine with me.

Do you have quantitative numbers and/or authoritative sources for this claim?

An airbag exploding for no apparent reason might conceivably provide a distraction when you are driving.

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

Reply to
Candy

Wow, Candy steps in here sounding all blonde and such ('enjoying the christmas-like atmosphere'), Leon jumps in and she CUTS HIM OFF AT THE KNEES! Ouch.

What do ya think of that quantatative information....;-)

Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

Last night when installing a chrome radiator cowl cover from Moss Motors it called for a relocation of the air bag sensor. Following their instructions I disconnected and relocated the sensor to the front of the air filter cover. Once I buttoned everything up my air bag idiot light was blinking 8 times. I unplugged and re-plugged the connections several times and the error continued. I disconnected the battery for a few minutes with the same results.

Finally I moved the sensor back to the same spot and reconnected the plugs and the error cleared. I'm not for sure if this was looking for a good ground or not but everything was back to normal.I was able to modify the cowl to fit and it looks good.

Ensure that the connectores are securely in place. When standing in front of the car looking under the hood the sensor is a black square mounted by the hood latch (approximately in the middle). Followup the wiring to the right side of the car and ensure the connection is good. Also ensure no rust build up near the mounting point for the sensor.

Good luck!

Reply to
David E. Williams

Reply to
Candy

instructions

Reply to
Candy

David: Thanks for letting me know where the airbag sensor is located...I'll go check mine out today.

Candy: Don't dismiss the effectiveness of a functional airbag...I've been a paid city firefighter for the past 17 years...5 years ago, we responded to an accident where a lady in a Miata ran into the back of a UPS tractor trailer, going 100mph! She coded (heart stopped) 3 times, her foot was pretty well messed up, but the air bag saved her life!

When I got my 99 last January, I told my wife (she's an E.R. Nurse) that I'd been turning off the passenger side airbag while traveling solo. She told me," turn that sucker back on! That's one more "pillow" to help you out during a crash". Good luck, let us know what was wrong...jim

instructions

Reply to
jimuntch

I seem to be reading a different newsgroup.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

located...I'll

Reply to
Candy

The answer to the TX question is NO, it will not fail a safety inspection. They will point it out to you in case who haven't seen the damn thing flashing all of this time.

They will fail you if your seat belt is starting to fray.

David

91Blue 216000 miles
Reply to
David