Thinking turbo...

It's getting close to winter here in Chicago, but I've got the urge to put a turbo in my stock '97. I browsed eBay, and there are plenty of used and rebuilt turbos available for a few hundred bucks. Since I'm planning on changing the exhaust system anyway, now would be the best time to fit a turbo in there.

Anyone here add a turbo like this, rather than by getting a "complete kit"? Several of the turbos on eBay have internal wastegates, and there are oil-cooled and oil-and-water cooled units as well. Adding a turbo shouldn't theoretically be too difficult; choose the right size, do a little custom exhaust and "plumbing" (oil and air, at least), and my baby can give me a lot more fun. She's wonderful already (especially on south-bound Flavin road between 95th Street and route 171), but there are times I could use another 25 or more horses...

Mike "Red '97" Verive snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com

Reply to
Michael Verive

You should search the miataforum.com power mods forum for info from others who have done this. Not sure where you'll get a turbo manifold for a 1.8 except as part of a kit from one of the Miata tuners. Most turbo owners are looking for closer to 125 extra hp than 25. That means an intercooler and replacement computer, of course, as well as a stronger clutch.

A JRSC might be a better choice for your needs, Mike.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers