Thrust bearing recall, has anyone tried the DIY check?

I bought my 2000 last month with 18,000 miles. I learned about the thrust bearing issue with some of the 99 & 00 models so I jacked her up and tried the clearance check as described somwhere on the web. The instruction is to pry on the crankshaft pulley to ckeck for end play. However, there is a sheetmetal shield between the block and pulley that prevents getting a pry bar on the pulley iteself. The shield yeilds to light pressure and I do not want to bend it. So I just grabbed the pulley with my hand and pusshed/pulled with all my strength. It did not seem to budge at all. Based on this I am assuming I do not have excess end play.

Any comments apreciated but especially from any who have tried this DIY check.

In case you are wondering, yes, I have an intense fear and loathing of dealership service departments due to past experiences. thanks, Bob

Reply to
Chappuis

A pry bar? Where did you find that instruction? You are supposed to measure play, not create it.

First thing would be to check your VIN number.

Maybe, but keep in mind that the play is very small. More than 1/64 th of an inch would be unacceptable. So the slightest motion should be suspect.

I assume a nondealer shop could run the test too, if you brought them the TSB.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I think it was a forum or faq linked from miata.net. It did not specify a pry bar it just said "pry on the pully". I was using a 10 inch pry bar.

Mine is in the VIN range listed in the updated tsb

.008 or less is a safe, IORC. I could detect NO motion whatsoever.

But not for free. If I get replies here that convince me my self test was not valid I will spend the money. I would welcome any suggestions on the proper method of measuring end play. The TSB just says measure, rotate 180 and re-measure. If the pulley does not move, how do you measure end play?

Bob

Reply to
Chappuis

I would tend to believe you. But we had some doubts expressed here in an earlier discussion about whether it would really be noticeable.

If a nut does not fit *quite* right on a bolt, the motion will be of this order of magnitude. I can feel that fairly easily. I would think the same would apply here.

If it does not move, the motion is less than 0.3 mm. Unless you are still in warranty, I would think there might not be much wrong with waiting until clear symptoms show up. Do keep an eye on things, especially in case you have put considerable off-design loads on the bearings using a 10" pry bar.

Just my thinking, Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen