Ticking sound

I have a 1994 Miata and there seems to be a ticking sound coming from the right front (passenger) side of the engine when I give it gas. I thought it may be a lifter, but I also think it might be detonation due to a low octane gas. Or maybe I need a new fuel pump. Any thoughts?

Thanks;

KJ

Reply to
Sin City Boy

You've likely got the classic miata ticking lifters (HLA's short for hydraulic lash adjusters). You can read all about it on miata.net in the forums. The short / inexpensive answer is to change your oil pretty often. This ticking usually happens at about 2500 to 3000 miles after an oil change (the type and brand and weight of the oil can help measurably). If it happens all the time the deterioration of the HLA's may be fairly far along. It doesn't really hurt your engine it's just embarrassing, aggravating and somewhat performance robbing. Replacing them is actually a pretty straight forward and easy job if you're up to removing the cams. What's about your timing belt? Are you trying to go forever on the original or has it been changed? If it was done at 60k or so and you want to do some serious maintenance, I'd do the HLA's, the timing belt, the crank and cam seals (you might want a new valve cover gasket too) and be good to go for about 90k more!

If you do HLA's, Mazda wants $50 a piece! You can buy a Hyundai part that works fine for about $6 each or pay a little extra and do what I did, paid about $8 each through Bap-Geon. It'll feel like you've had a rebuild and my gas mileage bumped up about 2 or 3 mpg, I'm serious.

Good luck, Chris previously 92BB&T now 99BBB

Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo