Tires

Hi all, At this time I have the original 195/50x15 tires on my 2000 Miata. I want to go to a higher sidewall tire to make the ride softer. I'm NOT a fast mountain road driver or "Boy Racer" ,so I'm really not worried about the performance factor. How ever I do not want to loose the ability to corner quite rapidly of I can help it. Any advise about a 70-80 tire wold be appreciated. I have actually thought about switching to a 14" rim. Yea,I know I'm the same old fart that would like an Automatic Miata...flame away! Thank you, Larry Hill

Reply to
Larry Hill

Larry, it won't make enough difference to be worth the trouble; in fact, it probably won't make any difference in the ride at all. However, some tires ride much better than others, due to weight and flexibility. The best I've experienced is the Toyo T1-S, a summer high-performance tire that cannot be used in snow or ice. If your climate or driving habits agree, the Toyo is your tire.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

In your case, I would look into a tire of the correct size with the softest sidewall possible. What do you have on there now? Also, if your shocks are original, the ride could benefit greatly by replacing them with adjustable shocks and leaving them on the softest setting. There is a big difference in the comfort levels of different miatas depending on what has been done to them, from knock-your-fillings out stiff to a ride that is amazingly plush for such a short wheel base car.

No flames, but I would never consider putting 70's or 80's series tires on my miata. I would switch to another car before doing that if I found the ride to be too uncomfortable.

Pat

Reply to
pws

I have had both 14 and 15, and it does not seem to make a difference. It has already been pointed out that you may want to replace your shocks, and make sure that no one put aftermarket springs on the car or worse, *cut* them. A simple look below the car may show the problem.

Nobody so far has mentioned the simplest thing: make sure your tire pressure is not above Mazda's specification of 26 psi found on the door. I am sure you could get away with

25 psi without problems if you check the pressure regularly. Or even 24. It makes a big difference. And traction would likely be better, except in hard cornering, where the sidewall will flex too much.

A solution that may be cheaper than new rims and certainly more effective: put thick sheepskin covers on the seats. Mine are black custom fit ones and at least half an inch thick. They also are very good at not cutting circulation to your legs at long trips, and look fine, (though hardly "hot".)

I would think "touring" type tires may be the ones most optimized for comfort. You may be better off asking tirerack.com to recommend the softest tires, than this newsgroup, anyway. :)

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I have a 2000 MX-5 with the original alloy 14" rims running 185/65-14 Goodrich Control T/A's. I'm very happy with the ride and control of the vehicle. The tires have about 10k miles on them now and show very little wear - not like some of the more aggressive tires I've read about that only last 15-20k.

That being said - I really like the look of the 15" 50-series tires and would consider a trade if you're interested.

Greg Youngen

Reply to
youngen

Wow, I disagree with Lanny! That's rare... I know the T1S is a GREAT tire, probably best miata tire for an enthusiast but Mr Hill says he's not a rat racer or a curve carver and that, to me, says the T1S would mean he would be paying big money he doesn't need to. There are plenty of decent riding, decent handling tires that will give him much more longjevity (wish I could spell). I love the ride and handling of my Brigestone "Eager" tires (ya, I know they sound goofy) and although I definetly can't match skidpad #'s with the Toyos, the break-away limits are quite high, nicely progressive and I have a 340 treadwear rating. Plus they were cheap ($60).

Really, my bet is with Leon, this gentlemans tires are probably just fine, he probably does like SOOOO many people do, he reads on the tire sidewall (the Max presure) and he fills his tires up to that presure. He's probably running around at 35 or heaven forbid 44psi !

Good luck either way, Chris

92BB&T
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo