Tires for a 2001 SE

Hi everyone, my '01 needs new rubber. The OEM Turanza's have about 26K on them and still have a little life left. I live in central Pa and drive the miata year-round (try to take the truck when it snows). I use the miata as a daily commuter, but I like to open it up on occassion. I have been fairly happy with the Turanza's, but I am sure there is room for improvement. They grip well when dry and are not very loud, but don't grip well when wet and are very dangerous in snow (spun out twice). I am hoping someone can suggest a better tire, here is what I need:

1.) good dry and wet grip, I don't race, but would like to take turns with confidence. 2.) enough snow/ice grip to get me home when caught off-guard. 3.) quiet ride (no shimmy) 4.) good treadwear (would be happy with ~25K) 5.) affordable (preferably < $500 for set of 4)

Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Tony

Reply to
Anthony Fazzi

Hi Tony,

I'm afraid that I can't give you any advice on good all-around tires, especially for snow, for your Miata. My '01 SE is going into hibernation for the winter. Check miata.net for tons of opinions. From my reading, I would think most of them would strongly suggest dedicated snows for the winter. I think it's asking a lot for an all-season to work for snow on a Miata. If you go that route, you'll see suggestions for Bridgestone S03's, Toyo Proxes S1's (and for dedicated autocrossers, Falken Azenis) for your 3-season tire. But since you aren't a racer, you can find less expensive. Still, this'll be a more expensive route, but you'll get longer life out of 2 sets of tires. Me, I still have the Turanzas which in a vacuum I'd say are okay (and agree with most of your statements). But they are universally panned in the Miata community. I would say that their breakaway tendencies also leave something to be desired (stiff sidewall, fairly abrupt transition).

Dave

Reply to
Dave

about 26K on

and drive the

the miata as

have been

for

but don't grip

I am hoping

Eastern PA dweller here. I'm using Potenzas for non-winter driving and Blizzaks for winter driving. So far I've been very happy with both choices.

Of course, you'll probably get as many opinions as there are Miata owners here!

Iva & Belle.) '90B Classic Red.) #3 winkin' Miata

Reply to
Iva

Anthony:

My driving style is similar to yours. Northeast Ohio weather surely is similar, as well.

From my own experience I can happily and heartily underscore Iva's post about Potenzas and Blizzaks---both have exceeded my expectations.

- Steve '92A Classic Red

Reply to
Steve