Top replacement

Will be replacing the top on a 96 in the near future. I am thinking a Robbins vinyl with glass window, but I am not set. Any opinions on the following subjects:

Vinyl vs canvas. I like the look, is it worth the money? It will see a lot of rain.

Plastic vs glass. Does glass restrict the rear view?

The zipless appear to have more viewing area. Is this significant? Does the plastic fold degrade the life of the window?

Does anyone know of a quality zipperless top with a glass window?

Any recommendations on brand or for a good retailer?

Thanks in advance John

96 and very red.
Reply to
John Matava

Robbins vinyl with glass window, but I am not set. Any opinions on the following subjects:

From what I've heard from various other owners glass isn't a good idea. The hood just isn't designed to hold that weight, and on several occasions the glass windows have been known to just pop out. Don't know if anybody else here has had that problem.

Eric

Reply to
Eric Baber

This is the first I've heard of that. I bought a vinyl, zippered glass window Robbins top last summer (after my vinyl window cracked) and it works great. I like being able to unzip the window and leave the top up for the shade.

Reply to
Roald Oines

This is the first that I have heard of it too, though I have heard that the weight of the glass can be bad for the zipper. Does the Robbins model require you to unzip the glass window to lower the top, or do you have the option of leaving it in place to drop it the way the top works on the OEM 1999+ models?

Pat '96M

Reply to
pws

I had an aftermarket glass window (Brainstorm) for five years, and no problems with the OEM zipper half in the 1996 top. (Nor the BS zipper half in the window.)

When I put in a no-zip 1999 Miata top, we moved the top with the Brainstorm glass window to another Miata and it is still fine as far as I know.

More importantly, aftermarket glass window tops such as Robbins tend to lay higher when down. I do not like how that looks and would not want a Robbins.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

:>

:> This is the first I've heard of that. I bought a vinyl, zippered :> glass window Robbins top last summer (after my vinyl window cracked) :> and it works great. I like being able to unzip the window and leave :> the top up for the shade. :>

: : This is the first that I have heard of it too, though I have heard : that the weight of the glass can be bad for the zipper. : Does the Robbins model require you to unzip the glass window to lower : the top, or do you have the option of leaving it in place to drop it : the way the top works on the OEM 1999+ models? : : Pat : '96M

Yes -- the window needs to be unzipped and the glass laid below the stiffener bar before lowering the top. As Leon says, the glass does make the top lay a bit higher when lowered, but not too much - barely enough to notice, imo.

The zipper seems pretty stout and it works smoothly so far.

Reply to
Roald Oines