tranny/differential rail question

I have three of the aluminum rails that attach the transmission and rear end to the body on the M1 miata. It looks like something that you would never need to replace, anything that breaks it is probably going to total the car, but I hate to just recycle these for aluminum weight if they are of any use as parts.

Has anyone ever even heard of one of these breaking from anything other than a really bad accident?

Thanks!

Pat

Reply to
pws

There were some braces that were not included on early miatas but were added as standard on later models, are these the bars your talking about or are they supports that every miata has?

I've heard that scrap aluminum pays about as well as ebay these days ;-)

I think the braces I'm talking about were all steel so probably not what you're referring to.

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo

I'm pretty sure Pat means the Power Plant Frame. Mine got slightly buggered when I unavoidably straddled a Falling Rock, but not enough to merit replacement. (The major damage was a broken differential case.)

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

It is a part on every miata from 1989-1997, I am not sure about the M2. It is that long aluminum piece with holes that runs the length of the car from the transmission to the rear end, about 4 feet long or so. I forgot what you call it, the differential housing attaches to it with two bolts.

That's not nice. :-) I have sold over $2,300 of Lego-related gear in the last month. That is over 100 sales, which doesn't sound too impressive except that I am doing this completely alone. I love Lego people....There is still a box to go that I can barely pick up.

Oh yeah, ware-hawking time, even on-topic. I have been spending too much time on the Lego stuff to concentrate on miata parts, but I did get the

1990-1997 Koni shocks/struts/tower assemblies listed. I am starting them at $200.00 since I have a friend who will pay me nearly that much for them if they don't sell.

I will also be putting up an excellent set of 15" OEM alloy wheels with no tires, one at a time if anyone needs a replacement or two, along with a 1.8 liter coil this week.

Actually, aluminum is at a high price right now, especially if it is clean and not cans. Someone gave me 4 wheels from a 1990's BMW 3 series. They had tried to mount two of them on a Jeep! When they didn't fit, they literally ground the centers out, unevenly if that even matters. How could that plan fail? Anyway, 2 look good to sell and I am running the other two up the the recycling center with some cans. That support piece from the miata is fairly heavy and solid aluminum, so I figured I would throw it on the pile if it has no other value now.

Damned Houstonites..... ;-)

Pat

Reply to
pws

That's it, Lanny got it right for a change. ;-)

I guess I will put this one in a corner somewhere. I am sure that the next ex-Mrs. Patrick Shelton will apppreciate that.....

Pat

Reply to
pws

"I did get the 1990-1997 Koni shocks/struts/tower assemblies listed. I am starting them at $200.00 since I have a friend who will pay me nearly that much for them if they don't sell online."

Oops, make that assembled Koni shocks/OEM springs/shock tower assembly units.

Pat

Reply to
pws

damn Austinites! ;-)

Hey, I was suggesting the recycler for the AL I'd heard prices were really good. Did you think I was implying that ebay sales were bad? I know better than that.

Since you mention it, is there a new future ex-wife in the works?

Chris

99BBB
Reply to
Chris D'Agnolo