Trans Filter

Hello friends at rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata,

I have a 100K mile Miata and I'm about to change the transmission fluid. The manual refers to a strainer rather than a filter. Should the pan be removed and the strainer cleaned or replaced with an aftermarket filter before adding fresh fluid?

Thanks, Craig

Reply to
Craig

Classic advice would be yes. There is another line of thought that says if the fluid is not discolored, and does not smell burnt, leave it alone.

The reason to pull the pan is that crud can accumulate in it. Same for the screen. Metal screens can be cleaned, plastic ones -- it's probably safer to replace -- don't know what the strong solvents might do to as plastic filter. A shop might try to sell you a fluid filter process that connects a unit to the tranny oil lines that go to the radiator. The fluid might just be filtered, or it might be replaced with this process. The advantage is that the fluid in the torque converter also gets exchanged. Pulling the pan just gets most of the crud removed, and does not completely drain the fluid. Naturally, you might do both the remove pan & clean filter, then flush, remove pan again if you are a purist, clean, and refill again.

Another subject of dispute is to use a "conditioner", a chemical that causes the rubber seals to soften slightly. This coupled with a mild solvent that can be added, may or may not help a specific tranny. The stuff has saved me a teardown on an old Olds. Don't know how advisable it is to use on a tranny that works OK.

Reply to
chuckk