Transmission overheating (2001 SE)

Before complaining to a service department I wanted to make sure that it is a real problem rather then a normal behavior. I own a 2001 SE and last week it revealed an unpleasant problem with the transmission overheating. While it was almost not noticeable on short distances, on a long one (200 miles) it became very uncomfortable. The heat from the transmission was so strong, that I had to put a towel under my butt (to decrease the sitting on a stove effect), and it was impossible to shove a hand between the seat and the console without getting it burned.

I do not recall this problem before I had the clutch shudder fixed, which makes me think that whether the transmission oil is not correct, or the heat shields are missing, or even it lacks some oil (there is no dipstick of this kind in the car).

Has anybody seen this before and by a chance knows where the problem lies? Might be it is a time (15 K miles) to replace the transmission oil with something better, like 'Red Line MTL'? Thanks, Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

Are you sure it's coming from the transmission? I don't know exactly where the Catalytic converter is on an '01, but that's the first thing I'd be looking into with that kind of heat. They might have had to remove and replace the cat when they worked on your tranny. I would look to make sure there is a heat shield on the top of it. A misfire would cause the cat to overheat, this would probably set the check engine light, but maybe not, I would check the plugs and wires just in case.

To check the transmission fluid you need to unscrew a plug that's about halfway up the side of the case (looks like a bolt but doesn't hold anything on, just goes in a hole). You should be able to stick your pinky in there and feel the fluid which should be level with the bottom of the hole.

John ('94 Miata)

Reply to
John

I am not 100% sure, but guess it is coming from the transmission, because even the shifter gets worm, the metal part of it. On my 200 miles trip I also had a small plastic 'Igloo' cooler with a few bottles of water and sandwiches in the trunk, and I had to throw away the sandwiches, and the water was more then

100 degrees worm (needless to say that ice was melted as well).

Anyway, it makes me think that it is a real problem, not a designer thing. I got a recall letter from Mazda (Fog lights) and will try to convince the service department to fix the overheating too.

Also it might be a good idea to check the oil level while the car is elevated.

Thanks, Vlad

Reply to
Vlad

The first 2000 SE I had was very hot on the trans hump from the exhaust. I put a heat shield between the exhaust and the trans hump and insulated the inside under the carpet with that blue insulation that comes in rolls from home depot. That helped a lot. The secone 2000 SE I have now does the same thing and I again insulated under the carpet but I also wrapped the exhaust from the header to behind the seat with the exhaust wrap that is available on the web at various sites. I am thinking about again putting another heat shield between the exhaust and the trans hump again just for more insulation. It is about 80 percent better with the wrap and insulation, but on those days when it is in the upper 80's it could be a bit cooler in the car.

Dave

2000 SE II
Reply to
Dave